Suggested length of trip to Triton Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
outofofficebrb

outofofficebrb

HARRO HUNNAYYY
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!

I’m planning on going to Triton Bay in April 2024. Time off not being an issue and cost not being the most important, how long would you suggest is the ideal time to spend at Triton Bay Divers?

For some context/baseline, I am happy diving 14 days in Alor or central Raja Ampat while being land based and wouldn’t be bothered by more. Is 14 days in Triton Bay too long, too short, or just right? Any feedback on the diving as it compares to any other Indonesian destinations as well as any tips would be awesome.

Thanks so much!

Or lower your standard to GoPro with 55mm MicroMate lens like I do
I'd need to buy a GoPro 🤣

Following. I'm thinking of Triton Bay as well and have been asking myself that exact question.

Are you combining it with any stop along the way? We like to do some topside exploring on our vacation in addition to diving and I'm not sure, what the best route would be. Maybe Singapore? Or Baliem Valley or Jayjapura? But then again the separatists did just abduct someone closer to the PNG boarder, so maybe play it safe.
I usually take really long trips when I travel so I will combine it with something else. I have a few things I rotate. I think I've decided on 14 days in April....room is on hold and the invoice is in my e-mail inbox. :)
Amazing video! I'm super bummed it got taken down. :( It was the best one on TB, IMO.
I am also planning to be there sometime in 2024. So I'm also interested to hear more about it.

For others who are interested in Triton Bay, @JohnN has answered @outofofficebrb question in the other thread: Una Una and Togeans Vs Raja Ampat

Lisa English, co-founder of Triton Bay Divers, also talked about how Triton Bay compared with Raja Ampat in the video, below.

Join me in mid April. :)
I heard, from only one diver, that visibility in Triton Bay can be an issue. I don't know if this is a seasonal problem. Just a heads-up that thorough research on this is likely required.
Yes, I was also advised the same and I also saw that in doing research. I considered going in October this year but I was encouraged not to because it can be very hit or miss at the beginning/end/shoulder.
I'll need an underwater camera porter to carry the Wide Angle when I'm shooting macro and vice versa :rofl3:
You know I'm good for it! I have offered before buddies have asked and as soon as I hear the squeaking underwater of a wet lens being unscrewed on a compact, I know what to do. :D I'm way easier than a bayonet mount when it's time to do a swap!

Yes, I was also advised the same and I also saw that in doing research. I considered going in October this year but I was encouraged not to because it can be very hit or miss at the beginning/end/shoulder.
Join me in mid April. :)

I discussed this with my dive club buddies and the group consensus would be also in early part of the year and go with the liveaboard that is available (many of the liveaboards have been booked solid up to 2 years in advance). So, we are booking for early part (February - March) of 2025, specifically from Sorong to Kaimana, covering Misool, Fak-Fak & Triton Bay. We plan to fly in to Sorong & out of Kaimana.

Hopefully you will have TB all for yourself in April next year!

The price for TB is scary, I'm trying to justify it to myself given no nitrox and limited electricity supply, but as yet I can't.

Perhaps one week, I don't know?

The price for TB is scary, I'm trying to justify it to myself given no nitrox and limited electricity supply, but as yet I can't.

That’s one reason that my group decided to go on liveaboard, crossing from Sorong to Kaimana, diving in Misool, Fak Fak, and Triton Bay.

It’s still not cheap, $6,400 pp for 11 nights.

Is Triton Bay the new Raja Ampat? I hadn't heard of it until just recently. White Manta's newsletter said: "Triton Bay is a must-visit destination for adventurous scuba divers who wish to explore the best Indonesia has to offer, away from the growing crowds of other destinations."

Two weeks is $6K, with three dives per day, that makes it around $166 per dive :crying: plus there's quite a few flights to get there.

Maybe I should just dive Truk / Chuck Lagoon on OC Trimix, might be cheaper 🤷‍♂️

As posted in another thread, Looking for Indonesia warm water suggestions for a September/October trip, this trip would be filling up the missing link (white routes) of my UEI (Ultimate East Indonesia) trip.

9D9728CD-0B30-461D-98BB-106D162139E9.jpeg

Is Triton Bay the new Raja Ampat? I hadn't heard of it until just recently. White Manta's newsletter said: "Triton Bay is a must-visit destination for adventurous scuba divers who wish to explore the best Indonesia has to offer, away from the growing crowds of other destinations."

The article“Triton Bay” in November 2022 issue of DAN’s Dive Alert magazine has certainly brought up my attention.

I discussed this with my dive club buddies and the group consensus would be also in early part of the year and go with the liveaboard that is available (many of the liveaboards have been booked solid up to 2 years in advance). So, we are booking for early part (February - March) of 2025, specifically from Sorong to Kaimana, covering Misool, Fak-Fak & Triton Bay. We plan to fly in to Sorong & out of Kaimana.

Hopefully you will have TB all for yourself in April next year!
With only 1 resort in the entire area and 8 bungalows there, it will be almost to myself. :)

It is pretty remote which I think justifies part of the costs. Everything has to be boated in - a bit more far flung than the Raja Ampat resorts to Sorong and Waisai. According to @Luko he also thinks that part of the 21% tax includes the service charge aka tip but I am not sure.
I have friends that have dived TB and they say that they liked it even more than RA and it is truly unspoiled with fewer crowds, so similar to what was mentioned in the article. This friend loves RA so I have a litmus and baseline.
Two weeks is $6K, with three dives per day, that makes it around $166 per dive :crying: plus there's quite a few flights to get there.

Maybe I should just dive Truk / Chuck Lagoon on OC Trimix, might be cheaper 🤷‍♂️
That's the single cost...Darn you, single supplement! At $3K per week, it isn't astronomical given the place/context...(enter Wakatobi, stage left!). Papua Explorers in Raja Ampat (less remote, more options) is slightly more or about the same as that per week as are many liveaboards for a week. (I'm not talking super budget options or super luxury options either.) Usually, liveaboards go for $3000-3500 for a week in many parts of the world, including Komodo/Raja Ampat and barring some exceptions like the Red Sea, Thailand, Philippines which on average have lower diving costs across the board or areas with much higher averages like the Galapagos.

I will say it's especially a chunk after enjoying Tulamben with you - the value proposition was pretty incredible there and I can see why you love it so much because I do, too.

If you can buddy up with someone, it will remove the single supplement and bring it down significantly...By like $1000+. I know you don't usually do 3 boat dives per day so if you did 2 plus optional night dives that's $4500 for 2 weeks, so about $2250 a week which is quite reasonable. Their 2024 rates are about $200 more than their 2023 rates. (I think when we went to Bangka it was $1900 for 7 days but that's definitely not remote and super close to mainland so that feels pretty in line given the circumstances.)

With that said, it's not a small amount of money and I'm not oblivious to that. I like to think about it with context and relative terms. They're the only ones there and it's either I am not okay with the pricing and I don't go or if I really want to go, it's my only option and I need to place a value that I'm willing to pay for it to enjoy the diving that is on offer. When talking about other areas and premiums, I definitely ran from some options in Puerto Galera and Lembeh because I couldn't justify the premium vs what was on offer with other resorts for the price.

So who wants ramen with me? :callme:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom