Sudafed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luca Brasi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know of alternatives to Sudafed? I have problems after a dive trip when I take Sudafed everyday for a week.

Does anyone know of alternatives to Sudafed? I have problems after a dive trip when I take Sudafed everyday for a week.
What problems are you experiencing and why do you take it in the first place - are your sinuses congested? Some folks use Flonase as an alternative decongestant but, If you don't have congestion, you don't need to take any of these drugs to be able to equalize.

What are your issues? I take something else with pseudoephedrine for congestion daily and have for years.

Flonase is a steroid medication with a greater delay to action and some cumulative benefit over time. If you try it, read up on it, as it's quite a bit different.

Richard.

Flonase is a steroid medication with a greater delay to action and some cumulative benefit over time. If you try it, read up on it, as it's quite a bit different.

Richard.
Agreed - and one should always read up on any medication they decide to take. I think many divers take Sudafed when it's not really even needed.

Richard.
Exactly right. Flonase is not a decongestant. It's an OTC steroid that works by reducing sinus tissue inflammation. Unlike decongestants like Afrin (a vasoconstrictor), it's not instantaneous and needs to be used for for several days (3+) to start showing results. In can used in combination with decongestants like Afrin, and is good at mitigating the rebound effect of Afrin. An even more effective steroid is Budesonide (requires Rx) which is used with a saline nasal rinse (NeilMed). The nasal rinse delivery gets the steroid to all sinus tissue better than the Flonase spray.

The nasal rinse can be used without medication (just salt packets), as well. This is a good pre-during-post dive trip prophylaxis and can also be used in combination with Flonase-makes Flonase more effective. Shooting saline up your nose takes a bit of getting used to and is more comfortable/effective with warm water (as warm as you can stand it).

I used to use Sudfed and found the NeilMed salt rinse (whether in combination with a steroid, or not) a much better way to keep me out of trouble on extended dive trips. No rebound, side effects or other bad stuff. It's my first line of defense. I think of Afrin is a last resort and, if used with Flonase/Budesonide, can keep you going for a long time.

I always had equalization problems. Sudafed worked great for reasons I don’t know. I do notice a rebound effect after a 6 day Liveaboard.

Afrin, don't over do it, and nasal steroid for longer term use. Afrin is the best but I do not like using it for more than 2-3 days. I've used it up to a week but the rebound is awful. Steroids work good, not as good as Afrin, but you can use that for a week straight.

I've done Afrin and steroids for 2 days and then steroids after, works well.

I find daily nasal rinses make a huge difference. (2 packets, Dr Neil)

Back
Top Bottom