Successful wetsuit diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive cold water in a 7mm semi-dry with a 3mm hooded vest. I tried layering a 3mm shortie over the semi-dry and hooded vest but my legs and arms stuck out and I couldn't move them back into alignment with my body.

I own this suit, and love it. I've gone diving in 46 degree water in February, and was toasty.

Very bouyant, though...

I'll chime in because I did my first hundred or so dives in a wetsuit in Northern California waters (down to about 46 deg).

A 7mm full suit and a hooded vest worked for a while, I suppose once the newness of everything wore off. After that I realized I was cold, and once I started doing a lot of boat dives, the wetsuit wasn't enough. The ride 10-15 miles at 20+ kts got me chilled before I even got to the dive site, and two dives later, I was downright cold. On the way back in, it was unbearable. I broke down and bought a drysuit and wouldn't go back to wetsuits in any water colder than about 65 degrees.

Your tolerance to cold might be similar to mine. It could be that your wetsuit is wearing out, or it could be that you finally realized that you've been cold all along and now want to do something about it.

A drysuit is a very versatile piece of gear and the good ones last a LONG time and are almost as comfortable as a wetsuit. You can vary the underwear to deal with any water from 28.5 degrees to 70+ degrees. You might want to reconsider going dry.

Well, I just bought a Bare Arctic 7mm. 2 piece suit that I haven't dived in yet, but I imagine it would be ample for your needs

Back
Top Bottom