Question Subsurface media storage (local, cloud...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthias Hoeller

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I started playing around with subsurface's media storage feature. I have some related questions:

- Are the media (e.g. images or videos) themselves stored somewhere within subsurfaces' files? Or is only the link to the respective file (be it local or from an URL) stored in subsurface?
(As far as I understand, that is the case, so if I change the name of a drive, or move a file, or something else happens to the file path, then that link no longer works, is it correct?)

- Is there a recommended way to store the files that are added to subsurfaces' media tab? I don't really want to select local files, because every couple of years, I will get a new Laptop, or a new NAS, or whatever, and then all added media are lost / links no longer work.
(I would prefer to store those files somewhere in a cloud storage, google, microsoft or whatever. But I am worried about the same problem - the cloud provider may also modifiy things in the coming years which may lead to file URL modifications...)

Thanks for insights on this :)

Best,
Matthias

A link to a local file is stored by Subsurface. One of the mirroring services like Dropbox or OneDrive will allow media to be local and cloud-based.

Hm that also implies, that the files will not be synchronized to my mobile app, right?
Is there another logbook app with integration of desktop and cloud that offers media storage and sync?

Back
Top Bottom