Submerged mills in Capodacqua lake, Abruzzo ITALY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Supernaut05

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi to everyone.
I'm new to this community and I want to share some pics of one of my last dive.
We are in Abruzzo region, Italy, near the city of L'Aquila.
Capodacqua is an artificial lake created in the first years of '900 to ensure water for local farmers. When lake was formed there were two ancient mills, dating back to the Middle Ages, that were submerged by water.
Now there are still about 10 meters depth although over time, especially because of the last great earthquake that hit L'Aquila in 2009, the facilities have accused some collapses.
However the charm of swimming in the midst of the architectural relics is still very charge in emotional.
I recommend it to anyone visiting Italy, and has the possibility, to take a dip.

ATLANTIDE scuola sommozzatori - unico gestore del lago di Capo D'Acqua, The Beginnings,

Pics were taken with a Canon Ixus 750 and its specifically Canon housing.
I was not very enthusiastic about the colors came out, despite the visibility in the lake is the almost excellent and the resolution of the little Canon does not allow excessive improvement work so I decided in post-production to tack on a dramatic black and white, which might give the images a vaguely antique flavor in accord with the dignity of the place and its ancient history. I also liked the idea of depicting divers like real explorers of unknown worlds.
Vignetting introduced together with the 'use of artificial film grain to simulate an old film contrasts particularly with images of divers and their equipment and would almost seem to see some images from "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" or some other short story by Verne.
I hope you like them.

32522087621_4cb3bce878_c.jpg

31254632091_c2eeef05e4_c.jpg

30547888814_7a06da9d35_c.jpg

31254670871_927d31385f_c.jpg

30562002783_32d1a38e49_c.jpg

More images on my Flickr account at https://flic.kr/s/aHskPHNFmG

Last edited:
Fantastic. Do you know if you can rent everything required from the club there? I am hoping to visit whilst working in Italy later this year

I've spent some time working in Avezano (the only ugly city in Italy) and never would have guessed this was so close.

Francesco,

Fantastic !
Worthy of a National Geographic special
Lets hope the remains of the mills remain undisturbed forever, for others to experience

Sam Miller,III

Lets hope the remains of the mills remain undisturbed forever, for others to experience

I doubt, since most of the structures have collapsed already (due to the recent earthquakes)... what you see can today is just a small portion, and probably they will "disappear" one day.

Back
Top Bottom