Subic Bay Wrecks with Johann's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dutchpickle

Contributor
Reaction score
There is a lot of junk to look at on the bottom of Subic Bay. Sometimes the vis is crap but it is pretty cool diving that bay. There is even an F4 down there.

I am not a serious diver doing wreck penetrations but had a good time looking at stuff from the outside.

Johann has a good dive shop that has come a long way in the last 10 years and the food in his restaurant is pretty good.

Subic info

Nice info page. I'm thinking of doing some training with Johan's this winter.

I don't have the experience you guys do but we all dove the F4 on air (around 43 meters) except for one guy that turned it into a tech dive. I really liked that dive.

Johann is pretty stubborn and tech dives are done his way. Especially penetration dives.

For me that shop was ok and he does have a loyal clientel but it might not fit everyones style. Diving Subic is not as cheap as it is in other places like Sabang for instance so there are other places that might work out better for some guys.

Blue Rock is a lot of fun. Does the owner still own Midnight Rambler? I think for experience with wrecks though, Johann is way out front.

dutchpickle:
There is a lot of junk to look at on the bottom of Subic Bay. Sometimes the vis is crap but it is pretty cool diving that bay. There is even an F4 down there.

I am not a serious diver doing wreck penetrations but had a good time looking at stuff from the outside.

Johann has a good dive shop that has come a long way in the last 10 years and the food in his restaurant is pretty good.

Subic info
always hear bout d F 4, but no one even dive guides that work at subic.so let us all know when someone or U may see it.

Halthron:
I suggest you read this thread before deciding.

I didn't even understand half of that thread. I think I get the idea though. Considering the liability issues, etc. I can understand if an operator wanted things done their own way; more so on something like a tech dive. Apparently I don't have your experience so maybe that's why I don't mind being told what to do (although I do enjoy thinking things through). As for a sunny or not so sunny disposition, I agree that it's always a plus in the service industry but some people are sunny, some aren't. It seems that Johan's has the experience and since I'll be doing training, that is a prime concern for me. I'm sorry things didn't work well for you, but I think I'll keep him at the top of my list. When I was referred to Johan's, I was told that his character wasn't necessarily endearing to all people. Thanks for the input by all means, though.

I am not a serious diver but was impressed that Johann has each (mix) tank analyzed with 3 different analyzers. Once in the fill room, a second time with a different analyzer in the briefing area, and then the customer checks it with a different analyzer and writes the percentage on yellow duct tape on both the tank and on tape on the hose next to the regulator. He did give one guy the option of not diving if he didn't want to do it that way.

I think he is the authority on Subic wrecks, even if he is a cranky Belgian.

To dive the F4 there has to be at least 4 divers to cover the cost of extra fuel to get to the site. It is out in the current and not bouyed so gps is used to find it. The plane is sitting upright fairly intact on the bottom. We did not have enough divers so Dimirti and I paid an extra 20 dollars to get out there. To me it was worth it.

dingho:
always hear bout d F 4, but no one even dive guides that work at subic.so let us all know when someone or U may see it.

Johan has the GPS coordinates for the F4. Go diving with him and he'll take you there..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom