Subic Bay in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBride

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be spending 3 weeks in the Subic Bay area in Olangopo at my son's house. They live right on the water. Since I am going to be right there I want to get some diving in. I really do not want to carry my gear other than my RX mask, is the rental gear ok there? Who do you advise that I use. Is there more than wrecks to see? I am spoiled with the ease of drift diving where I live in Cozumel, how different will this be? Thanks for any advise.

Dive Ops & Rental Gear
There are only a handful of diving operations in Subic Bay, most of which have very good quality rental gear. Arizona Dive Center (Barretto Beach), Johan's (Baloy Beach) and Boardwalk (SBMA) are the three I'd recommend primarily, especially if renting kit.

Dive Sites
Subic Bay is synonymous with wreck diving - and is spoiled with a diversity of great wreck sites. However, some of those wrecks form lovely artificial reefs (San Quentin and Barges). There's also some decent reef dives around Grande Island in the mouth of the Bay, such as Canyons reef, - the coral has been dynamited (as is common across the Philippines), but visibility is typically good (15-20m+) and there is little current. The water is calm and protected in anything other than a full blown typhoon.

Some of the reef sites deeper into the bay (Lighthouse Reef, Nabassan Reef and Castle Rock) have variable visibility - depending on how rainy it is and the state of the tide. They can be poor-average on a bad day, but typically always make for wonderful night dives.

Arizona Dive has a new artificial reef project that has turned out to be an awesome muck dive:

[vimeo]41705207[/vimeo]

Here's my article on the wreck dive sites in Subic: Subic Bay Dive Sites | Map and Descriptions

Here's my gallery of the marine life to see in Subic: Subic Bay Marine Life Gallery

Those operators( 3 or 4) inside the Free Port could be nearer(depend where your son's house is).
Arizona and Johan are over in Barrio Baretto.

Thanks so much for the information. My only other concern is that I have not kept a dive log in 15 years, will they just accept my cards for AOW and Nitrox?

Not sure where the house is because they moved since my visit last year. I know he said the water was murkey looking where he is, but great breeze off the water!

I will contact the shops you mentioned, what is the going rate for dives there?

---------- Post Merged at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:46 AM ----------

OH..super article and pics!!

The shops in Subic might tend to be a little more diligent than in other places in the Phils, so proof of certification would certainly be a requirement for diving there.

A c-card, by itself, is adequate to prove your certification and go fun diving. If you are PADI trained, then the PADI affiliated dive centers (Johan's and Arizona) will also be able to confirm your qualifications via the PADI online database. Blue Rock is SSI - and may have similar capability for that agency. Boardwalk is SDI for their recreational training - not sure if SDI have an online database for their certifications.

Displaying a log-book isn't mandatory, and not having one certainly won't deny you diving. However, you won't have proof of experience, which could mean that initial dives are 'easier' until the dive center/divemaster get to know your capabilities.

There are two main areas where expats live in Subic Bay (I've lived in both):

Binictican Heights is in the hills overlooking Subic Bay from the south. It's a 10 minute drive down to the Bay itself from there. The area is quiet and surrounded by jungle. It's popular because the housing is former Officers' quarters from the days of the US Navy base.

Baloy and Barretto beach areas is also popular with expats. Right on the beach and economical value. Plenty of residential accommodation around there - so that sounds likely, from your description. Houses run from those areas down the main highway/beach to Subic Town proper.

There isn't much residential accommodation in the main SBMA/SBFZ area, so it's unlikely he lives there, unless he stays in one of the 'executive condo' buildings. There are a few houses around the fringes of the bay, more remote and expensive.

Some expats choose to live in Olongapo town proper - that'd hardly be described as 'by the beach'.

LOL, my son is not exactly a normal "expat". He is Filippino and I adopted 24 years ago. That said, his fiancee is Filipinna and I doubt they live in an expat area, I know they did not the last time.

I have no objection to "easy" dives, I just want to dive.

OK, I found out they are close to JoHan's. Has anyone used them, what do they charge for dives and rental gear?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom