Subframe mask - fantastic vision / below standard quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kuhnis65

New
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Being an underwater photographer, I do like a good vision and it is for this reason that I purchase the Subframe with the ARC Technology glass. First dive and you see the difference straight away. It is amazing if you are sensitive to light and I was impressed. Just one little annoying think is the little screw in the middle of the mask that let air flow out of the mask being replaced by water. As I am not really disturbed to work with some water in my mask, this problem was not of my concern.... but be aware of it...

Less than 100 dives later I was to be desapointed by the very low quality of the silicon compound used for the construction with the attached falling appart. Although I was not worried because when I purchased it, it said:

The strongest and most indestructible two-window mask ever

....it carries a Lifetime warranty against frame breakage.

So I did write emails that were first ignored by Atomic poor after sale service and when they finally answered, it was to tell me that that the frame was under warranty... not the rest. The frame they are talking about is made of metal... I hope in a normal use that no one will ever break it.... but what about the silicon frame which is 80% of the mask????? Not under warranty. (To be noted that the American after sale is efficient and answered quick.... on my first email... it is in Europe that I wasn't getting any answer and when I did get an answer it left me with a feeling of being insulted)

The only proposal I received was to send the mask back the masks to Europe (I work in the Maldives) at my own cost and they will have a look. I really felt like being rude to them at this point because without a mask I cannot take underwater photo. I was expecting them to send me a new one with apologie and requesting mine to be sent back after I receive a new unit in order for them to investigate why the so called indestructable mask was so poorly built.

At the end I just let them know that I will send them back the mask as a present for their archiv and I went back to my old and really indestructable TECHNISUB Mask (Now Aqualung) that has well over 2000 dives and still no signs of fatigue... exept maybe the color of the silicon that has turned yellow with the years.

Your not the first person I have heard complain about the European support. It is unfortunate since the US support organization is one of the best I have dealt with.

Back
Top Bottom