Subal D2X Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chippy

Contributor
Reaction score
For those that might be interested, Alex Mustard has just posted his Subal/D2X review up on Wetpixel.......I had a read - Anyone wanna buy a Aquatica & S2? :wink: :-

Subal & D2x

chippy:
For those that might be interested, Alex Mustard has just posted his Subal/D2X review up on Wetpixel.......I had a read - Anyone wanna buy a Aquatica & S2? :wink: :-

Subal & D2x

I was looking in on the D2X before this review, when looking for a DSLR with the largest viewfinder. The D2X had the largest in the Nikon line, which still does not come close to the F3,4 Actionfinders, but more like the N90, 8008s Nikon SLRs. Still much larger than the lower end D70 viewfinder, which just square pinhole, when compared to an Actionfinder. The 12mp is nice.

Unless there is a significant price drop, I'll have to rent the D2X for now. In fact I will need to rent one to check fit the D2X, to see if it will fit in a large SLR housing from Ikelite. This maybe the camera to beat for UW work.

Dive Safe

Dang, looks like I'm going to have to sell my S2 and Aquatica....

When are you going to get your new rig, Chippy?

I am thinking of selling my kidney, any taker?
Just check local prices for D2X with Subal housing/ GS viewfinder and all the ports that I would need, the total would be a tad over $12000 if I am doing my math right.
Hmm, may be I need to sell half my liver too!
It does look very nice though, I played with one briefly over the weekend and am very impressed.

marpacifica:
Dang, looks like I'm going to have to sell my S2 and Aquatica....

When are you going to get your new rig, Chippy?

Well I've had my D2X body for a couple of weeks now and I'm in love!!

I must admit though that it's highly unlikely that I'll get a housing for it in the immediate future. I just can't justify spending GBP2,500 on the housing and then more money for ports, plus gears, etc when I don't make any money from it.

I'll have to stick to using my trusty S2 for the time being I think, which does a great job for the shots I do.

Who knows though, if I had a good offer for my gear, then I'm sure I could live with just doing macro (95% of my home shots are due to the viz) for a while until I could afford a WA port.

Paul

Paul,

At least you don't have to get a whole new set of lenses. Imagine having to switch over (gasp) to Canon....

Congrats on the new "baby." Can't wait to see some shots from it.

Marlo

Can you imagine....ouch that'd be painful for the wallet!

The quailty of the pics is incredible to the say the least. When you look at a photo which is the same size as your monitor (fit to screen or whatever it's called) you can't really see what all the fuss is about, but as you zoom in the quailty just keeps on holding up, rather than starting to break up and go pixelly as it usually does.

(I'll PM you a link to some land shoots i've done with it, as they're all Non UW pics)

Hey, just stick the D2X in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag and take a few u/w shots, hehehehehe.

Yes, I can see the detail in the photos you linked. I'm hooked, for better or for worse.

Chippy, glad you like the camera. I took the plunge and ordered one but won't get it until the middle of next month. The first batch of D2X that were imported into Thailand were gone within a week so now I am on the waiting list for the 2nd batch.

Back
Top Bottom