Sub Gravity H3 Computer by Seabear Vs. Shearwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NC Air Hog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I could not be more excited to get to dive with the new H3 released by Sub Gravity (Produced by Seabear). After working with the Thorton family for a while, we were excited when they created Sub Gravity and began to release gear. The thought has been communicated to me that the H3 and T1 have provided an alternative to the Shearwater. Here are my thoughts on how they compare, and please share your own:

While the Shearwater has been the "go to" computer for many, It has largely been for tech divers / Rebreather divers. The ability of the Petrel absolutely raised the bar throughout the industry. Capable of unlocking VPM is a great feature. The Petrel 2 now has the digital compass which is nice, but I believe that it was added just to stay current with other models (my thought, could be horribly wrong). The display is amazing and it is a system that truly allows the end user to grow as a diver into anything they may want to do in the sport.

With the new H3, there has been a few things taken away from all of the above but a few items added back into the system as well. While the H3 runs on the Buhlmann decompression model combined with Gradient Factors, the ability to unlock VPM is not an option. I would argue that this is not a big deal, but I never used VPM personally so I cannot make a valid point. The H3 is also a smaller design which I have noticed a lot of women seem to enjoy. While it is technically small enough to wear as a watch, I would not because it still has a good sized screen. If you take an Iphone (not the new, huge one) and cut the screen in half, it is roughly the same size. The display is the same in both in that I cannot tell a difference. One of the nice features is the coming ability to become air integrated. While this feature does not seem to jump out at tech divers, many on the recreational side are very much looking forward to it as well. The NFC ability is pretty nice as well if you are into that sort of thing. So, there are a few things that each system has that the other does not. There will be good and bad with each when comparing.

In essence, I cannot help but feel that the Shearwater Petrel was designed with tech divers in mind. The Sub Gravity H3 (Use HOG2 at checkout to receive 15% off) seems to have had sport diving and tech diving in mind (made with a boarder brush perhaps).

Shearwater Video Sub Gravity H3 Video

When it comes to pricing, the Shearwater will flex with the changing of the Canadian Dollar. Right now, they are pretty affordable when compared to last year at this time. The H3 has set pricing right now and will likely continue to have it. No matter what, it is far less for either than some of the other systems which can cost $2000 sometimes. For that kind of money, it better do my taxes :wink:

I looked at your links to your online store, and it appears the H3 is about $177 more than the Petrel 2?

Please point me to the $2000 computers you mentioned. I am not aware of any. Don't get me wrong. The SeaBear stuff looks great, and I am also excited about the Thorntons bringing it to market. The H3 might give the Petrel a run for the money, but it will take some time to be a proven item with winning customer support. I am looking forward to playing with one at BTS in a couple of months.

Cdub, I believe that is why he posted up the discount code. That way the price wasn't a conflict for someone debating between the two. I could be wrong but I imagine the idea was to allow a fair assessment not based on price tags between the two.

Kwinter, some of the newest computers such as one with "steel" in the name that was just released retails at $1440 right now. If you want the air integration factor added, you still have to add a $500ish transmitter. Similarly, there are a handful of $1500 stand alone computers as well as kits sold that range up to about $4000. Again, I could be wrong but I do not think the point was single out any other computer, but to perform a fair assessment of one of the current leading industry computers to the "new hotness" that has just been released. Also, the neat thing about the two sub-gravity computers is that they both evolved from military designs and use. After speaking to the guys at Sub-Gravity, the fact that they were released to the public is kind of an awesome thing. And I think your idea is by far the best, have Josh, Michael, and Randy give you the full run through at BTS. I know they love the products and know every minor detail about the capabilities of the units.

I looked at your links to your online store, and it appears the H3 is about $177 more than the Petrel 2?

Yes, right now the H3 is a bit more expensive. To curb folks from shying away from the new system simply based on price, we took 15% off when you use the code at the time of checkout. Many will, and should, take advantage of the US dollar to Canadian for the Shearwater. Unfortunately I think that potential H3 customers don't give it a chance because of the higher price. Leveling the playing the field may help a bit though. You cannot really go wrong with either system.

I am more interested in the T1 with the wheel and bungie mount. When will this one be out?

Is the H3 just slightly more expensive than the Petrel with or without the A/I feature? If without, how much extra can A/I minded divers expect to pay for that feature? Not a ding against the H3, because the Petrel doesn't offer A/I at any price, just curious. The Lynx, for example, seems to have been a flop in large part because its giant ultrasonic transmitter is horrifically expensive (despite enabling some really cool functionality in addition to the A/I).

Is the H3 just slightly more expensive than the Petrel with or without the A/I feature? If without, how much extra can A/I minded divers expect to pay for that feature? Not a ding against the H3, because the Petrel doesn't offer A/I at any price, just curious. The Lynx, for example, seems to have been a flop in large part because its giant ultrasonic transmitter is horrifically expensive (despite enabling some really cool functionality in addition to the A/I).

As of now, I have no information on the Air Integration. As it stands, the H3 would be just the computer with no transmitter.

Marketing and awareness campaigns is a must for new product launches. You guys are doing a good job. Potential buyers generally are more clued-up on products before they spend $$. They are also budget sensitive, hence the research many will do before pulling the trigger.

I have DC’s (shearwater) and know that vendors leapfrog each other during R&D cycles and for me proven track record and customer services/experience are important considerations. Others like being early adopters and I can’t wait for real life feedback for customers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom