Sub Gear SG50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi
anyone here have first hand knowledge on the internal parts of the sub gear sg50 2nd stage reg ? curious if someone can confirm how much metal is used in these. (ie: air barrel etc) trying to see whether this would be a good cold water option. i already know the 1st stage is def good to go.
thx for any input you can offer
rick

My understanding is the SG50 is a Subgear branded Scubapro MK-17 first stage with a C-300 second stage. You may want to look for information on the C-300. The C-300 was not very popular here in the U.S. I think it was only sold for about 2 years or so. The C-300 was really designed for the European market where divers seem to prefer unbalanced second stages, so it should be fine for cold water.

It's a shame, but SP let Subgear die.

In 2016 there is no Subgear Catalog anymore, but the SG50 2nd is now sold as SP C350,so you might get still parts for a while........

The Subgear SG50 is a cosmetically altered and rebranded Mk 17 300.

Subgear is a Scubapro brand that was created to give Scubapro dealers a lower cost product line that could be used to compete with on line retailers. I don't think it worked the way Scubapro thought it would.

The Mk 17 is the best diaphragm first stage currently being made. Unfortunately, Scubapro is still very much a piston regulator company and it gets second billing to the less reliable in cold water Mk 25.

The C300 is an adjustable version of the C200, and as noted above they are unbalanced second stage designs intended for the European market. Divers in the US have a strong bias against un balanced second stages and they associate them with low performance designs. That's not the case with the C series regulators. What divers don't grasp is that with a balanced first stage, where the IP is constant, the forces in a second stage are always balanced anyway. Pneumatic balancing of the second stage actually makes a difference when it's attached to an un balanced first stage.

The C300 is designed for high flow rates and it wouldn't benefit from balancing on a balanced first stage anyway.

The C350 is an evolution of the C300 using a oval shaped poppet which eliminates some potential issues with sand retarding movement of the poppet in the grooves in the air barrel on the C200 and C300. My understanding is that Scubapro increased the tolerances on those models anyway to address the issue, but the new poppet and air barrel design is a more elegant solution.

Scubapro has a long history of supporting discontinued models, and with the parts commonality with the C350, support for the C200 and C300 isn't disappearing anytime soon. It might be an issue 20 years from now, but I doubt it as the O-rings are standard as it the poppet seat.

If you're worried about it, get a couple new poppets, a new air barrel and a new case (all of which would cost you less than $50) and you'll have all the parts unique to C series that are likely to ever fail. Or just buy a used on off E-bay for $75-$100 as a spare.

What divers don't grasp is that with a balanced first stage, where the IP is constant, the forces in a second stage are always balanced anyway.

On my MK11, IP increases by about 10 PSI from 3000 to 500 PSI supply pressure. Have you tested your MK17s to see about the IP rise over the supply range? With an unbalanced 2nd stage, 10 PSI difference is significant.

I've only used my MK11 with balanced 2nd stages, and have never noticed any difference in performance throughout the supply range.

It's not an apples to apples comparison.

The Titan first stage isn't sealed. Plus, the LX second stage is balanced - and it's basically a knock off of the venerable Scubapro G250, using an all plastic version of the 1980's era Scubapro balanced poppet, and a micro adjust feature to allow more variation in the spring.

If you want to make a comparison then compare the Legend LX to the Mk 17 G260.

If you want to compare the Titan LX to something, compare it to the Mk 11 G260.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom