SUB Bahamas Adventure - Stewart Cove's Nassau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trigfunctions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all - we are considering the SUB Bahamas Adventure in Nassau for something unusual to do while on a cruise stop.

http://www.sub-bahamas.com/

Can anyone comment on the quality of the excursion?
What time does it leave?
How long does it take to get from ship to the SUBs?
Would it make sense to forgo the transport back to the ship, and stop somewhere else for lunch and another activity, if time allows?

Any suggestions for a place for lunch and another good snorkeling location or alternative activity? The boat leaves at 5PM. We are certified divers and have lots of experience snorkeling, so do not need equipment or instruction. I have read about Love Beach (or is it Love Bay?) How are the facilities and how long would it take to get back to the boat from there, or another good snorkeling beach.

I just got back from the Bahamas and did some diving with Stuart Cove. They do offer transportation from the ship to their location, which is at the other side of the island. Check out this link for more information:

http://www.dive-bahamas.com/pages/diving/cruise-ships.html

If you want to have a real good lunch or dinner I recommend "Cafe Mattisse". Service is excellent and so is the food! Just across from all the ships..walking distance.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks Lilo! I have read good things about "Cafe Matisse"- plus it's fun to say it!!! Did you take a cruise? Just wondering, is there any beach snorkeling to be done near Stuart Cove (a resort and dive op, I think). I am thinking about hitting the Junkanoo Museum after our SUB Bahamas Adventure, if there is time. Did you get a chance to visit it?

No, I didn't take a cruise..my brother was just transfered to the Bahamas from his company. For snorkeling you can go to Cable Beach and its close by to the port.

I didn't get to see the museum....all I did was dive with Stuart Cove. They have snorkeling trips as well. By the way, no beach dive close by the dive op...that I know of..

The SUB Bahamas trip is definitely different. Basically, they are cheap versions of the BOB (Breathing Observation Bubble) and the course of the trip is you go out to the site on the boat, the SUBs are lowered off the back and tethered in a line, then the crew and guides get the passengers on to the SUBs. Once everyone is ready, a scuba-diving guide leads the way, and everyone SUBs after him. They do a fish-feed at one point, and go around a little wreck. The SUBs are suspended at 4-5m on a buoy, so they can't go any deeper, and you have a little trigger control to power the prop and handlebars to steer. A couple of support divers hang at the back to corral any errant SUB drivers.

I did a piece for the mag on them a few years back, and I was taking photos on scuba. It was hard work keeping in front of the SUBs, as they probably do a couple of knots. My wife drove one while I took the pics, and she had a blast.

Maybe a bit of a one-off for qualified divers, but the non-divers on the boat who did it thought it was great. Certainly different to snorkelling!

Mark

Thanks Mark! That sounds like what we thought it would be like - fun to drive the little machine around, but not real diving.

What magazine do you work for and is your article on-line somewhere?

I am the editor of Sport Diver magazine over here in the UK. We are affiliated with PADI also, but have no connection with SD USA other than we have the same name. Gets very confusing when I travel to the US or Caribbean...

The article was a good three or four years ago, but if I can find the original Word file, I will PM you it so you can have a read.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom