Stylus 400 + PT-016 Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HammerNoMore

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've seen several requests for sample pictures with this setup so I thought I'd post some from my Cozumel trip this week. Pictures were taken with WB set to cloudy and flash on with the diffuser. No strobe. All are untouched except to shrink down to a more managable size for the web. Colors come out fine as long as you get real close, otherwise all blue.

Oh, and this is not only my first time with this camera but my first time taking underwater pictures at all so be gentle :).

Wow, what a good example of how much difference your monitor makes. I had only seen these pictures on my laptop. Now that they are posted I went back a looked from my desktop and they appear significantly darker.

James

Do you have any more pictures taken with the Stylus400?

James Goddard:
I've seen several requests for sample pictures with this setup so I thought I'd post some from my Cozumel trip this week. Pictures were taken with WB set to cloudy and flash on with the diffuser. No strobe. All are untouched except to shrink down to a more managable size for the web. Colors come out fine as long as you get real close, otherwise all blue.

Oh, and this is not only my first time with this camera but my first time taking underwater pictures at all so be gentle :).

I really like the last one! you can take good pics the the stylus! Thanks for sharing!
Aloha,
Lisa

Good job, James! :thumb: I see the C-53 has gotten some good growth on it.

justleesa:
I really like the last one! you can take good pics the the stylus! Thanks for sharing!
Aloha,
Lisa
I notice in your tagline that you have Photoshop Elements. If you open up the pics and look at histogram you can see how the red channel info is all skewed off to the left (dark) side. Adjusting "levels", mostly cranking up the red channel gain, will help the photos a lot.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1596 has some humpback whale photos from Maui that I took in March with a Stylus 400 + PT016 setup.

Without adjustment, they were blue, blue, blue. Playing with levels in Photoshop Elements a bit I was able to bring out a lot more detail.

------

Initially, I thought that the biggest drawback to the Stylus 400 was its wimpy flash. Now I realize that what really hurts is lthe lack of a manual white balance. The built in preset and auto white balance corrections won't crank up the red gain as much as is needed in underwater photography.

Charlie Allen

EDIT: uploaded a couple more photos, showing the unretouched photos as they came out of the camera.

Charlie99:
I notice in your tagline that you have Photoshop Elements. If you open up the pics and look at histogram you can see how the red channel info is all skewed off to the left (dark) side. Adjusting "levels", mostly cranking up the red channel gain, will help the photos a lot.
I purposly left these "untouched" so people could see what came out of the camera instead of a fixed version.

Dee:
Good job, James! :thumb: I see the C-53 has gotten some good growth on it.
justleesa:
Thanks ladies. I was pretty happy with them for my first time...

hueyatl1:
Do you have any more pictures taken with the Stylus400?
I took quite a few but I don't really want to waste space on SB with them all. Was there something specific you had in mind?

James, you aren't wasting space on SB with pics like that! Why don't you add them to the SB gallery? That's what it's there for.

>I took quite a few but I don't really want to waste space on SB with them all. Was there something specific you had in mind?[/QUOTE]

I am looking to buy an underwater camera and housing. I had serious considered the Stylus400 w/ PT-016 housing, however yours are the only pictures I could find. Anything you are willing to care would be appreciated. Perhaps you have a website! ...or there is another place where you UW pictures can be viewed.

Huey B Email:hueyatl8@earthlink.net Domain:http://www.hueyatl.tk/ Website:http://home.earthlink.net/~hueyatl8/home/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom