Stupid tank question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to everyone for your input.

FWIW, steel tanks and wetsuits are generally not a great combo.
Can you elaborate please? Seems like a heavier tank would compensate for the added buoyancy of the exposure suit. Thanks!

Can you elaborate please? Seems like a heavier tank would compensate for the added buoyancy of the exposure suit. Thanks!
In a single tank, not an issue. The OP was asking about doubles. Outside of steel 72s, most steel doubles are too negative for a wetsuit. If your wing failed, you wouldn't be able to swim them up.

A single steel cylinder may not be that bad but imagine trying to swim up backmount double HP00’s if your wing failed. You’d either want a Drysuit, dual bladder wing or some other form of redundant buoyancy.

In a single tank, not an issue. The OP was asking about doubles. Outside of steel 72s, most steel doubles are too negative for a wetsuit. If your wing failed, you wouldn't be able to swim them up.

A single steel cylinder may not be that bad but imagine trying to swim up backmount double HP00’s if your wing failed. You’d either want a Drysuit, dual bladder wing or some other form of redundant buoyancy.
Okay. That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification!

Be aware there's a big difference between how different brand 2400psi 95s feel in the water, especially doubled. Faber white painted 95s are much lighter feeling in the water and buoyancy wise than older PST galvanized 95s, although only a few different pounds on land. They are still both short and tall people rarely like them.

At 5' 10" I'm kinda on the cusp? I think for the time being I may just forgo the offer and double up AL 80s. I have no intention of ever getting into sub-80 degree F water so a dry suit is not in the cards.

At 5' 10" I'm kinda on the cusp? I think for the time being I may just forgo the offer and double up AL 80s. I have no intention of ever getting into sub-80 degree F water so a dry suit is not in the cards.
For wetsuit diving, AL80s are excellent.

Down here in warm water country (South Florida), double AL80s are ideal. Double steels can be problematic unless you are diving dry which can suck in the summer. I used to dive double HP100s in a wetsuit but there was risk there. I always had a redundant DSMB that had as much lift as my wing but I'm glad I didn't have to use it. I no longer dive doubles but if I ever started again, I'd go with double AL80s for local warm water diving.

My double HP100s were perfect for me (5'8") when I was diving in the Midwest/Great Lakes and was in a drysuit 100% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom