Stupid me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My comments above are based on diving a single tank setup, which is what I use for at least three-quarters of my diving at home.

Bill, what I and my buddies do is, if we are shore diving or diving off a boat where we don't have to do a hot drop, we do a quick head-to-toe equipment check in the water. That includes breathing both regulators with our faces in the water, which is equivalent to DAA's test against a closed valve. Only if we are boat diving in high current, where we have to get underwater fast, do we do an exhaust diaphragm check on the boat.

i check 'em both, every single dive. probably not as thoroughly as larry, but thoroughly enough to make me happy. it's a few moments of zen deep breathing - what's not to like?

My comments above are based on diving a single tank setup, which is what I use for at least three-quarters of my diving at home.

Bill, what I and my buddies do is, if we are shore diving or diving off a boat where we don't have to do a hot drop, we do a quick head-to-toe equipment check in the water. That includes breathing both regulators with our faces in the water, which is equivalent to DAA's test against a closed valve. Only if we are boat diving in high current, where we have to get underwater fast, do we do an exhaust diaphragm check on the boat.

That makes sense, cupcake-lady.:D I would like to hear what the rest of your head-to-toe quick check entails.

- Bill

That makes sense, cupcake-lady.:D I would like to hear what the rest of your head-to-toe quick check entails.

- Bill
Probably about the same as EVERY GUE and UTD trained diver :cool2:

Probably about the same as EVERY GUE and UTD trained diver :cool2:

Perhaps, but don't assume.

I always purge but not always breathe from my octo. But I will now, thanks ya'll.

If we are lucky, we learn something new evary day.

Head-to-toe check is just what it sounds like: "I have my hood, I have my mask. Primary reg in the water, backup reg in the water. Wing inflate/deflate/dump valve. Dry suit inflate/dump valve. Gauges, weights, light is struck, backup lights are present (and tested, if going into an overhead). Pocket contents are thus-and-such, and I have my fins." It takes about 90 seconds or so to go through this for a team of three, if there are no issues. We follow it with a check for bubbles/leaks (submerge the first stage and look at it, and look at the hoses and pressure gauge). It's hard for any significant gear issue to get through that filter without being caught.

Head-to-toe check is just what it sounds like: "I have my hood, I have my mask. Primary reg in the water, backup reg in the water. Wing inflate/deflate/dump valve. Dry suit inflate/dump valve. Gauges, weights, light is struck, backup lights are present (and tested, if going into an overhead). Pocket contents are thus-and-such, and I have my fins." It takes about 90 seconds or so to go through this for a team of three, if there are no issues. We follow it with a check for bubbles/leaks (submerge the first stage and look at it, and look at the hoses and pressure gauge). It's hard for any significant gear issue to get through that filter without being caught.

Thanks. I'm pretty close. I've been working harder on it, thanks to the advice I've gotten from SB.

We have not been checking first stage for leaks, and I have been known to dive recently without the things I should have in my pockets: mirror, backup light, glow light on tether, SMB.

- Bill

Be honest -- how many times have you tested your secondary air supply before entering the water? I know in my 50+ dives, I have only put it in my mouth and breathed from it when the instructor told me to do so. Usually I just "test" it by purging it. :no:

Last night after the manta ray night dive I came back to the boat, there was alot of surge and near the ladder I wanted my reg while I was taking off my fins. Couldn't find it so what the heck I grabbed my octo and -- could not breathe from it! :confused: Maybe it was because I was low on air -- just under 500 lbs.

I think my buddy and I need to actually breathe from our secondaries each dive before jumping in. And we need to practice buddy breathing. And another good reason to buy a "good" reg for the secondary, not just "something that works".

Great dive BTW - 10 rays and the largest was 14' they said.

- Bill

Everytime. Every single dive.

Back
Top Bottom