Stupid dry suit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score

Since I am staying right on the ocean front, but it is in New England. And I have never dove anywhere but the very hot pacific. And only in T-shirts, and occasionally .5 mm suits (yes that is half mil, and not a typo) Where I dove wetsuits made you too hot underwater sometimes.

What do I have to pay to get a suit (and the other things) that will let me dive through the winter?

Problem: I (almost surely) won't ever use it ever again after this winter, because I am heading back out to the hot pacific for the rest of my life. So it is just for this winter. Will I be able to resell it all after winter is over?

Should I first try and rent a suit to see if I can stand it?

Will my face just be in incredible pain where it is not covered?

How do I stand the heat before I hit the water? (it's only a one minute walk but..)

Will my lips get chapped from being uncovered?

How am I supposed to rinse my gear when it is below freezing outside?

How much weight do I gotta carry (assume an aluminum 80)?

Are there any stinging things floating around in the sound in winter time?

Are night dives worth it? Will it make a difference if I do it at 2:00 am?

Any and all advice welcome.

Okay, Get Drysuit certified 1st then rent a suit when you want to dive. You can spend anywhere from $1000-$2000 for a good suit. Then you won't have to try to get rid of it later

Never had much of a problem with the exposed skin, but we are diving fresh water and shore diving.

Rinse your gear inside...

If you don't plan on diving cold water after this year then I would take the course to see how you feel in a dry suit, and in cold water. After that just check with the shop, and rent one.

Since I am staying right on the ocean front, but it is in New England. And I have never dove anywhere but the very hot pacific. And only in T-shirts, and occasionally .5 mm suits (yes that is half mil, and not a typo) Where I dove wetsuits made you too hot underwater sometimes.

What do I have to pay to get a suit (and the other things) that will let me dive through the winter?

Problem: I (almost surely) won't ever use it ever again after this winter, because I am heading back out to the hot pacific for the rest of my life. So it is just for this winter. Will I be able to resell it all after winter is over?

Should I first try and rent a suit to see if I can stand it?

Will my face just be in incredible pain where it is not covered?

How do I stand the heat before I hit the water? (it's only a one minute walk but..)

Will my lips get chapped from being uncovered?

How am I supposed to rinse my gear when it is below freezing outside?

How much weight do I gotta carry (assume an aluminum 80)?

Are there any stinging things floating around in the sound in winter time?

Are night dives worth it? Will it make a difference if I do it at 2:00 am?

Any and all advice welcome.

- The $1000- $2000 range is about right for a good drysuit.
-You could resell it, but will probably lose some $ for it. Almost no one is going to buy even a slightly used drysuit for full retail.
-Rental could be a viable option since you will only do it for this winter.
-Yes I would try it out in a drysuit course to see if you can stand the cold water to begin with. In fact most dive operations will require proof of drysuit experience (c-card or log book) before renting a drysuit. They can be a little tricky to handle at first, if you're not familiar with them.
-As you descend you will feel the cold around your face (I assume you would be using a hood of some sort- otherwise it could be "ice cream headache"- city. As your skin comes in contact with the cold water, I wouldn't exactly call it painful (although some might). It's more like a prickly feeling. After a few minutes, the skin will numb & then you won't feel a thing (including whether the regulator is in your mouth).
- the heat before the dive- you can leave the suit unzipped, or you can rinse off over the head to cool off (or use a wet towel on the head). I can almost bet that at this tie of year or later,... it won't be much of an issue.
-Your lips shouldn't chap, unless they are prone to anyway. Mine never have.
-You will just have to find somewhere warm to rinse the gear (bath tub at home). I dive freshwater, so it's not typically an issue.
-Weight- it all depends on your body type & what kind of drysuit you dive (neoprene vs trilam or such) & what & how thick of insulation you wear underneath. I wear anywhere from 18- 40 lbs. the 18lbs I will wear with my warmer water undergarments (50- 100gm weight) & the up to 40 lbs I wear with the heavier undergarments (up to 650gram weight).
- I do not dive your area so can't comment on the marine life & diving conditions there.
I would suggest you dive the first time with either an instructor or someone with a good amount of experience in diving your area. Like I said above, drysuits can be a little tricky to master at first (though not impossible) & also cold water diving can be quite a shock, if you've never done it before. There is also all the weight to have to deal with, hoods, gloves (which can affect hand dexterity). Also just as a suggestion, you might also want to make sure you know or remember how to breathe off a free flowing regulator, as this can be a common issue in very cold water. Not trying to scare you off, but just a few things to consider before cold water diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom