Stupid and probably obvious question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jasona111

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering doing a fundies course next time I'm in the US (or anywhere else that has a DIR instructor) but I'm just wondering, Does DIR support metric?? I keep seeing a long hose refered to as a 7' hose... but over here it'd be a 2m hose, is it DIR to use a 2m hose??

Jase

jasona111:
I'm considering doing a fundies course next time I'm in the US (or anywhere else that has a DIR instructor) but I'm just wondering, Does DIR support metric?? I keep seeing a long hose refered to as a 7' hose... but over here it'd be a 2m hose, is it DIR to use a 2m hose??

Jase

The answer is obvious. Yes, it supports metric. But the majority of DIR divers come from US and that's why imperial units are more often used. If you check DIR-F Manual you'll find that both systems are used. I believe that every DIR instructor is able to adapt his/her lessons to student and use systems that student is got used to.

Yes, GUE supports metric. Courses tend to be taught in the prevailing system of the area whether that be feet/psi or meters/bar.

Thanks, I figured that'd be the case... but its always good to check.... now my related question.... should it be a 2m or 2.1m hose?

2.2m don't be such a stro ke :wink:

Actually, a buddy of mine just did cave 1 and they were "forced" to use metric one dive and then imperial the next.

jasona111:
should it be a 2m or 2.1m hose?

It should be long enough to ensure proper routing but not too long to fly around. If you have little extra you can tuck it under BP/W waist belt.

artw:
in my opinion it would be more DIR to use one or the other and not switch during a diving session (Weekend, trip, etc) as not to confuse other team members.

Jonnythan? your thoughts?
Huh? What's metric?

Something about those funny numbers you Canadians use on the highway right?

jonnythan:
Huh? What's metric?

Something about those funny numbers you Canadians use on the highway right?

Just think. It's a great excuse for you americans to speed.

Ohhh...I thought that was 100 "MILES" and hour. Sorry officer! :eyebrow:

Woden:
Just think. It's a great excuse for you americans to speed.

Ohhh...I thought that was 100 "MILES" and hour. Sorry officer! :eyebrow:
Mounties on horseback can't catch cars anyway, right? :D

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom