Student drowns at last OW training dive (Taiwan, July 31, 2016)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand why anyone would administer CPR when the recipient still has pulse.

Presumably in the "pulse but no breathing" case they'd do ventilation without chest compressions? Which technically isn't CPR but the journalist may not know the difference, or omit for brevity. (No idea how long the heart could keep going without fresh supply of O2.)

It is also possible that the victim had a pulse for a while and then lost it. This is not the most detailed of reports.

Poor situational & student awareness from the instructors. If vis is poor, then I agree with the previous post, you tighten the formation & adjust the dive accordingly. I had to take students with less than 1 ft vis a few weeks ago, with no assistants or help & did not lose even one. We maintained touch contact at all times. Easy? no, but I made it work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom