stuck zipper on bare xcd drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minigirl

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
After a winter of neglect the outer zipper on my bare xcd drysuit is utterly stuck open. It looks like there is something gunking it up. I did 2 dives on monday and those two 40minute 'soaks' in the ocean didn't help much. I've read some posts about soaking it in 50:50 water/white vinegar - what do you all think?
Any advice?

Yes, a soak or two in 50/50 vinegar/water for 10 to 20 minutes should do the trick. Lukewarm will work faster than room temperature. Rinse with plain water or use a brief soak in a water solution of bicarbonate of soda to neutralize the acid, followed by rinsing.

In the future, better rinsing right after diving is a good idea, but you appear to know that already.... :)

Dave C

That is probably it since you can see the gunk an I assume it was in working order last fall.

Just in case though take a good look to see that it hasn't gone off the end and begun to loose mesh. I have seen some of the common zippers get farther open than thy should and fetch up. Usually with patience they will fall into place and be fine. The solution is then to stitch it shut a tooth or 2 from the end such that it never separates again.

Odds are the vinegar & water are the ticket.

Pete

thanks guys - I'll try your suggestions tonight - and my ocean soaks were hardly luke warm -47.f at the Shoals
:)

no luck on the vinegar soak :-(

Know someone with an ultrasonic cleaner? :)

Otherwise, try another soak or two. Sometimes it can take a few soaks to get that final crystal out of the way....

Is the zipper plastic or metal? If it's plastic, you can soak it ad lib without damage. If it's metal, you might have to watch for deterioration of the metal as you repeat the soaks, but it's still your best bet, short of ultrasound.

Try alternating 10 minute soaks in the acid solution followed by 10 minutes in the base solution. (Vinegar versus bicarb.)

Try warming up the water to the point where you almost can't stand to keep a finger in it. (About 110F)

Keep trying to manipulate it to break up the crystals.

Don't give up or get frustrated and smash it (yet). :D

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom