Stuart cove worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is the shark dive really worth all the hype? What are some of the pro and cons? Can you bring your own camera gear along?

absolutely! At least it was when I did it 12 years ago. I could have touched the sharks and there were many of them. The game box was inches away from me. It was an "E" ticket. I brought my own camera and was cautioned about how to use it. I didn't consider it expensive but some folks say so. The staff was very professional and we all did a check-out dive first so they could see how we acted underwater. They explained what was going to happen and they handled a (minor) emergency very well. One passenger panicked a bit. All in all it was one of the highlights of my diving life (over 600 dives). see photo below. Do it!

Atlantis Shark dive | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I would say "Yes", you have to do it at least one time. Sharks are amazing, beautiful animals, especially up close !! Stuart Cove's is a great operation, with a great shark dive. UNEXSO does a fantastic shark experience with Cristina Zenato, as well. Also, Jim Abernathy's operation provides a great experience as well. If it sounds like I can't get enough of these animals, you are correct ! Sharks are great !!

It was definitely one of my favorite shark dives--ahead of UNEXSO in Freeport, Beqa Lagoon in Fiji, and Placencia in Belize; and behind the "natural," non-feeding (but still so reliable!) sand tiger encounters we had in North Carolina. Bringing your own camera gear is no problem.

Pros:
Stuart Cove's boats are always on schedule
Shark dive is on a wreck with quite a bit of relief, so it's easy to get beneath the sharks for good photos
Shark dive is well-run in a very orderly fashion (unlike Beqa)
Onsite bar/grill at the dock--tasty

Cons:
DMs at Stuart Cove's restrict dive times to ~45 minutes, usually (see above re: keeping a schedule)
Other people/bubbles in your shark photos

I'd say go for it, if you're going to be there... it's one of the better ones and a pretty exciting experience.

Photos from Stuart Cove's shark dive here: Shark Diving at Stuart Cove's

Which shark dive, Nassau or Tiger Beach? Both are Cove's but somewhat different experiences.

I've done Stuart Cove's for snorkeling and the shark experience was part of the trip. Just head out on the rope, stay on the rope, and watch them underneath.

They are accustomed to being fed on the bottom so floating on top simply has them cruising around underneath you.

Then I saw a blacktip at Molasses Reef while scuba. So I can only imagine how cool it would have been to have done it with them purposely hanging around you lol.

Snorkeling

p1022509527-4.jpg

Scuba, starting at the 22sec mark

[youtubehq]f84oew2d1gQ[/youtubehq]

Since you're there all week you might try to get in a dive with Bahama Divers also. They're a lot closer (shore side of the Paradise Island Bridge)
M-W- Sa they dive the Lost Blue Hole - sharks are often seen there also. Dive Trips

Nassau we will be there for 7 days.

I was there at the end of may.I contemplated going Stuart coves dive, but didn't commit until I was there. I like to get a feel of the shop before I go out with them.. I checked out Explore scuba dive charter, and spent the rest of my dives with them. Can't wait to dive with them again. their custom dive service takes you diving, where you want to go, when you want to go and for how long you want to go! I will probably try Stuart's at some point though....

http://explorescubabahamas.com/

Tell them you were referred by a member of the honey badger dive team :wink:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom