Stuart Cove "Incident"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to start a flame war but if you hand feed sharks, then sharks start to associate humans with a food source...and that is never good! What they do at Stuart's Cove and other "shark encounter" attractions is getting far too similar to something you would expect at SeaWorld. Sharks are wild animals and usually apex predators in their environment. Luring them in with food so tourists can feel a surge of adrenalin seems almost as wrong as having Shamu jump through a hoop for a fish or two. If you want to see sharks in the ocean it can be done without chumming but if you aren't patient and want a "sure thing" then visit your local aquarium.

I (after some grudging questioning) support baited shark dives and hang out with the nuts on the Emerald, so my definition of "foolish" is probably a bit beyond that of most folks. That said, there were two things that prompted a "WTF" response here.

First, whoever the first shark feeder is, he's asking for it one day. At 1:40 he lets the hammerhead circle around behind him without even trying to track it; he's leaning back as if he's relaxing and taking a leak while a very large and excited shark almost puts its head on his shoulder from behind. If the hammerhead had decided to bite there for whatever reason, the first hint he would have had would have been the teeth going in.

Second, I've seen some folks I know do the "lead the shark around by the nose" bit; I'm not crazy about it but at least they have the bait and the shark where they can see both and if they lose physical control of the shark it's got a clear shot at the bait. They don't hold the bait behind their back; which raises the possibility of literally getting bit in the ass if you get double-teamed by a second shark.

Also, remembering the flap last summer after one of Jim Abernethy's divers went missing at Tiger Beach and that Neal Watson was using it as a pretext to argue that the "safer" Bahamian Diving Association ops should govern shark diving in the Bahamas (read: kick out the US-based liveaboards) ... if that's their idea of safety protocols, thanks but no thanks.

Neophytes are attracted to "exciting" activities and tend to tip really well when you pump them full of adrenaline and excitement.

This feeder has obviously done this before, not because he is good at it but because he is almost cocky about it. In my opinion this type of behavior is irresponsible and dangerous to the customers.
Unfortunately, there is a solid market for doing bonehead **** like this, therefore it won't be going away anytime soon. Personally I have.no interest in feeding sharks at all, let alone doing it in such am irresponsible way.
I'll take wreck diving over shark feeding any day. And I'll probably see more sharks.

I'm surprised we don't hear of more accidents. That shark could bolt much more quickly, and grab the diver, even if by accident.

And what prevents another shark, out of the diver's field of vision (reduced by mask skirt & the magnification effect of being underwater, further compromised by being in a 3-D environment without the ability to effectively discern direction of sounds or hear verbal statements from others), from darting in after the food & accidentally grabbing a feeder's hand?

I'm impressed shark feeds have the good track record they do.

Richard.

Where have you collected data on the safety "track record" of shark feeds? I know that people have died from it and I know at least 3 that have been bitten.

Granted, I haven't. I make the assumption it must be adequate for the practice to be allowed to continue. Did the 3 you mention die from clear cut attacks? Any credible chance of heart attack or other issue that could've readily happened on a non-feeding dive?

Where have you collected data on the safety "track record" of shark feeds? I know that people have died from it and I know at least 3 that have been bitten.

Depends on what you're comparing them to. Spearfishing has resulted in quite a number of shark attacks over the years - by the raw numbers more attacks and more serious or fatal ones than shark feeding.

As far as shark feeding, we have one death I know of (Markus Groh at Tiger Beach: got too close to the bait, was slashed in the leg by a bull shark, and bled out). As for the remaining "bites," from what I've read they've been exactly that - bites. Feeder or tourist (reporter on one occasion in the Bahamas) puts his or her hand in the wrong place, gets bit, goes to the hospital to get some nasty lacerations stitched up, and walks out. Not fun and not something to dismiss, but not a life-threatening instance either.

Awap:

I was on my iPhone in bed waiting for our toddler to fall asleep when I read & responded to your post. Sorry, you indicated you knew at least 3 people who got bitten, & knew people who died. Roughly how many of the latter? Those are the ones I wondered about in terms of how certain it was a shark killed them. As opposed to 'died on a shark dive.'

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom