Strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fsandy

Reaction score
Got the c 5050 going to get thePT-015. Have no idea what strob or strobs to purchase! Please help me out, there are so many to pick from.

Thanks

Frank:confused:

I chose the Sea & Sea YS90DX for my C-4040 for several reasons. I've had S&S strobes and cameras in the past and was always happy with the quality and service; the 12 power levels are very easy to use; I've never liked TTL so not having it was no loss; I liked the idea of a single step connection via a fiber optic cable; price. I've been extremely happy with my choice.

The only other option was an Ikelite strobe and there were several reasons I didn't choose it. It has a seperate sensor that has to be aimed at the camera internal flash in order to trigger; I had a specific strobe arm I wanted to use and there was no place to put this sensor; it cost almost half again as much as the S&S.

You can purchase the S&S YS90DX from Underwater Digital

Dee once bubbled...
I chose the Sea & Sea ......

I agree with Dee. I use the Sea and Sea YS90DX and love it. Easy to use and has more settings than I need. I also just ordered to C-5050 and am eagerly awaiting the delivery. My PT-15 housing was delivered this morning!

Dee- Don't get left in the dust! You DO NEED the 5050. You DO NEED the 5050! :D :D

Thank you soo much! Ok the ys90 it is. But I forgot to ask is 2 nessesary and what arm do you recomend??

fsandy once bubbled...
Thank you soo much! Ok the ys90 it is. But I forgot to ask is 2 nessesary and what arm do you recomend??

No...two strobes are not necessary, but some folks find them very handy. I'm deliberatly staying away from a second strobe because I've had a two strobe system and I'm tired of the hassle, the expense and the size of using two strobes. But a dual system can have it's advantages. A second strobe will give you better coverage for wide angle shots and it can give better definition, more of a 3-D look, to some of your other shots. The down side is the extra cost, extra and $$$ time spent on maintenance and insurance, but mostly the size of a 2-strobe unit. It is harder to get into close spaces, takes up more room on the boat and is a bear to carry around in or out of the water as well as packing for a trip.

My favorite strobe arm is very flexible and made of Loc-line sections and is frequently referred to as Infinity Arms. They look like this only longer...

fixtraybi.gif

Although the longer arms can be sort of floppy out of the water, they are very stable in the water. I can position my strobe in virtually any position very easily and with one hand. No ball joints to loosen abd re-tighten, just one very handy piece!

Ok its all good ! Thankk you soo much. Now can I put this package together withh Underwaterdigital.com

Sincerly
Frank

Ikelite DS125, Sea and Sea tray and Ultra Light arm.

I wanted a strobe that did both TTL and manual and DS125 was the only one that did it for digital cameras. The Ike also has a good aiming light which is bright enough to use as a night diving torch. Also fantastic recycle time and fast charging with the optional fast charger.

Didn't have any problem aiming the remote slave sensor.

I chose a Sea and Sea tray because I found the design of the dual angled arm mounts better. Also has a back brace which prevents the PT015 from spinning.

Thats great information. I thank you very much! Have you had any problems with the arm in currents or other problems with it not being stiff enough. Do you find this set up too bulky? Let me know please.

Thanks again
Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom