Strobes set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divefreak2

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, I am about to purchase an A650IS camera with the canon under water housing. I am looking a for strobe/tray set up. any suggestions?

I always used Ikelite strobes and all their hardware for many years. Service is excellent . They are based out of Indianapolis, Ind. Look up the web site Ikelite Underwater Systems.

Stan

I seen the ultralight systems before. I am going to the SCUBA show tomorrow in Long Beach and I believe they are going to be there. I just haven't heard of anybodies expereince with them. Thank you for the input. I also like the Ikelite systems. One of the reasons I picked a canon camera is because Ikelite has more housings for canon than olympus. I am just getting the canon housing while I decide what other housing/system that I want. the one draw back to ikelite is that their systems are bulkier and heavier.

I also found the ikelite strobes a bit bulky and heavy, and in the end went for an inon d2000s (which is much lighter and smaller, and about the same price as the equivalent ikelite strobe, IIRC).

look for inon strobe +UL arms package deals - I got a pretty good price at the time.

BTW, I would (and did) go for the ikelite camera housing. In my case it was twice what the canon housing would have cost, but the ikelite housings are rock solid and much easier to use with gloves (which may not apply in your case).

I also found the ikelite strobes a bit bulky and heavy, and in the end went for an inon d2000s (which is much lighter and smaller, and about the same price as the equivalent ikelite strobe, IIRC).

look for inon strobe +UL arms package deals - I got a pretty good price at the time.

I too went with the Inon strobe and Ultralight arms/tray package. Inon strobes are powerful and extremely light! Ultralight arms are very versatile and lite as well!

Don't get sticker shock when looking at the price of strobes, it's worth it! When it comes to underwater photography, lighting is everything!! Plus, good arms will reduce the weight of your system and will make your life very easy!

I started off with a singe strobe, then I progressed to a dual strobe setup, without any difficulty adding on to my system over time.

Reef Photo has great packages and the expertise to assist you. Here's an example of one with an Inon strobe and Ultralight arms/tray:

Inon D-2000 Deluxe Lighting Package [ino.d2k] - $855.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Also, here's a few pictures of what my system currently looks like, well at least until I pick up my new Canon G9 Camera and Patima Housing Tuesday! This same system was initially a single strobe setup:

Adrians_Camera_Setup_Pics_021.jpg

Adrians_Camera_Setup_Pics_002.jpg

Adrians_Camera_Setup_Pics_006.jpg

Thank you very much for all your input. I had the chance to look at inon and ultralight systems inperson. It is always a tough desicion to make. btw, SFLDiver that is a very nice set up. I would probably stick with one arm for right now since I do a lot of beach diving and I want something that I will be able to take through the surf with no problem.

Thank you very much for all your input. I had the chance to look at inon and ultralight systems inperson. It is always a tough desicion to make. btw, SFLDiver that is a very nice set up. I would probably stick with one arm for right now since I do a lot of beach diving and I want something that I will be able to take through the surf with no problem.

I too started off with one strobe, but eventually gave in and bought the second strobe. I currently dive a closed-circuit rebreather and often dive deeper high current challenging dives with multiple bailout bottles, but regardless of the conditions, I always take my camera! That's one of the nice features of the Inon strobes, they are small and light. I actually fold them up and in, so while I'm descending, my system is pretty tight and compact.

Good luck with whatever decision you ultimately make!

Back
Top Bottom