strobes for oly 5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
ok you all I am about to drive myself crazy
what is the diffrence in these two strobes
YS-90 TTL/AUTO Strobe
and the YS90 DX
and can they both be used with the OLY PT-015 houseing with the OLy 5050
I know I am new so I need this set up easy as possible thanks

The newer YS-90 TTL/Auto will automatically control the light output. You set the aperture on the strobe to match the aperture on your camera. It has to be hotwired to the camera through the housing. You can also use it as a slave with the fiber optic cable, like the YS-90DX but I think you lose the TTL ability.

The YS-90DX works as a slave and is a manual strobe where you change the power levels. It can also be hotwired with some housings to use the TTL function but the exposure isn't automatic.

If I'm wrong or someone else can explain it better...please jump in! I think I confused myself!

Sorry, Dee, but you missed this one.

The YS-90 Auto is an attempt by Sea & Sea to offer some sort of automatic control to the digital market. It works something like the Ikelite TTL slave sensor, but not nearly as well -- for a couple of reasons.

Every digital camera maker uses a different quenching method. They all read the reflected light and turn off the flash, but none of them do it the same way. The Ikelite sensor reads, not the reflected light, but the camera's flash. It doesn't matter how the camera decided to turn off the flash, it did, and the Ike sensor turns off the external strobe at the same time.

The S&S Auto works like this. It has an eye in the head that reads the reflected light and turns off the strobe. It makes that decision based on the aperture setting on the back (where the power dial is on the DX). You set the dial to the aperture that you have set the camera to. When the proper amount of light hits the sensor, it shuts off the strobe. It does not have to be hardwired. It is designed to work with the fiber optic cable just like the DX

Here's the problem. The light reflected back to the strobe head does not necessarily equal the light reflected to the camera lens. If you're doing this right, your strobe head is way off to the side of your subject, and only partially pointed toward the subject. So, the distance and the angle of the light reflecting back at the strobe has no correlation to the light going to your lens. Also, Sea & Sea is guessing. Does f5.6 on a Canon G3 require exactly the same exposure as f5.6 on an Olympus C-5050? Not likely. The lens is different. The chip is different. The ISO sensitivity is different...you get the idea.

On top of all this, a leading Sea & Sea dealer today told me that Sea & Sea has not delivered the first of these strobes yet. It is in the catalog and on the web site, but no one has seen one yet.

digitaldiver once bubbled...
Sorry, Dee, but you missed this one.

I knew there was some major difference having to do with TTL and the settings (I got that part right!). It was confusing me so I knew something didn't make sense. Probably should have just kept my mouth shut...hehe.

I was hoping you'd come by and straighten me out :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom