Strobes for G12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

depends on what housing you have and what you mean by out of the box. In the S&S housing sure but in other housings, you might not get the arms to fit on your housing just right and the connector to the fiber optic might not be the same
Bill

Working is one thing, being versatile is another. The YS-01 is a very solid, dependable strobe--no problem. The arm & tray? I'd look around. Why? Notice how you really aren't getting a way to position the strobe on the tray/handle set pictured in your link? A real drawback. If you go to an external strobe one of the main reasons would be to put the light where you want it, at an angle that sets off your subject well. Hence the need for arms that are positionable.

You can find the YS-01 at Bluewater Photo (or elsewhere) for around $429. A very nice deal can be had from Jack Connick at Optical Ocean Sales on a solid, modular arm & tray setup (can add a 2d handle & arms etc.later). Sells for around $122. Trays, Arms, Handles & Clamps - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

You spend about the same (around $550.) but have a much more solid way to actually use your strobe creatively. You can always buy fiber optic connections (Jack has them, Bluewater etc.) or fashion your own for maybe $10. bucks if you are a RadioShack sort of person. The strobe is fine, I've used one, and the tray & arm set? Got a couple of those from Jack and am very pleased with them. Just my opinion--of course...:eyebrow: // ww

I'm not great at putting stuff together. I consider the words, "some assembly required" to be the most fearsome words in the English language. I have the G 12 and that same strobe along with a lightweight tray, flex arms and recsea case from Bluewater. I offered to pay extra for it to be literally preassembled. They did it for no charge and I could use it literally out of the box. He totally assembled and carefully packed it so I had no worries about what to put where etc. I like this approach as I can also call and get responses to my questions from experience quallified experts who have used exactly what I'm using. The price I paid was very competitive but frankly it did not have to be (don't tell them :). I'm aware of my limitations and am happy to pay extra for expertise. I don't do my own plumbing either. But I know who to call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom