Strobe questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prodaytrader

Registered
Reaction score
I bought a digital camera a few months back. It wasnt a very expensive one but I have been more impressed with that camera then any other camera I have ever owned. One of the selling points was that a marine case was available for it. I am about to buy that case and I am now wondering about lighting. On the website it has a suggested light option which is supposed to fit the case but its nearly 500 dollars. The case is only 160 and the camera was only about 250. How can the light be twice the camera and case cost? My question is this: are there special attachments on the case that are fairly standard for strobe lights or do I have to buy one designed for the case? I'm pretty sure having a light source is critical but does it have to be a 500 dollar option or are there cheaper methods?

you'll need to be a lot more specific... what camera and housing do you have, what strobe are you looking at purchasing, etc.

Before you buy a strobe read this. Depending on the camera it makes sense to get used to it underwater first and then decide if you really want a strobe.
Have fun
Alison

This should be very interesting, I cannot wait to see the replies! :popcorn:

Oh, what digital camera will you be using?

I did read that link about camera and housing only early today. It was good enough to encourage me to think about ditching the strobe for now. At first I thought a strobe was going to be easy to get into. I once took an advanced diving class and part of the time was spent on U/W photography. The stobes the guys used werent all that big of a deal. On top of that, many of these starter kit cameras have strobes on them for less then 300 for the total package. Thats why I didnt realize that the strobes cost so much. How could a starter package be 300 and the strobe be 500 plus. I was thinking 100 or so tops.

The camera is a LUMIX DMC-FX01 and the case is a DMW-MCFX01. Neither are all that spectacular to say the least, but the camera takes excellent pictures on land and the case will keep it dry which is what any case will do. Not to mention that its the only case for that camera, so its not like I have a lot of choices. There is a company making plenty of attachments and lens just for this camera but like I said, it all looks pretty expensive to me. All the "stuff" comes in at 1500 which seems pretty steep for a 250 camera.

I will read that first link now

Prodaytrader:
I did read that link about camera and housing only early today. It was good enough to encourage me to think about ditching the strobe for now. At first I thought a strobe was going to be easy to get into. I once took an advanced diving class and part of the time was spent on U/W photography. The stobes the guys used werent all that big of a deal. On top of that, many of these starter kit cameras have strobes on them for less then 300 for the total package. Thats why I didnt realize that the strobes cost so much. How could a starter package be 300 and the strobe be 500 plus. I was thinking 100 or so tops.

The camera is a LUMIX DMC-FX01 and the case is a DMW-MCFX01. Neither are all that spectacular to say the least, but the camera takes excellent pictures on land and the case will keep it dry which is what any case will do. Not to mention that its the only case for that camera, so its not like I have a lot of choices. There is a company making plenty of attachments and lens just for this camera but like I said, it all looks pretty expensive to me. All the "stuff" comes in at 1500 which seems pretty steep for a 250 camera.

I will read that first link now

I have also have a 6mp LUMIX, you're correct they do take excellent pictures. The LUMIX is at a disadvantage U/W for one the U/W case has a flat port (the 28mm lens is more like a 35mm) so you are limited to only macro shooting and some normal angles only in clear water.

I am on the fence on this one, I like the camera on land but then I have other cameras for U/W. If this were my only camera I would most likely buy the U/W case and make it work without an external flash as long as you shoot about 6 inches or so from the subject the internal flash (with a few photographic tricks) will do just fine.

And yes I still cannot understand why U/W strobes have to cost SOOO MUCH! $500 is only the strobe you will need another $500 worth of converters and cord to make the darn thing work!

Attachments

• DSCF0075.JPG
    DSCF0075.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 18
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom