Strobe Positioning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azisme

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The biggest problem I had with using a strobe was for macro photography and especially for taking pictures of eels that are tucked into crevices. It was much easier getting the light on my subject when I was using my internal strobe in these instances. I had the aiming light of the strobe pointed right at the eel, but I think the crevice blocked most of the light from the actual flash. Any ideas on how to overcome this? And how do you position the strobe for super macro shots, right next to the camera lens barrel?

Here is one shot demonstrating my frustration. It is not a great shot but I thought it was interesting in that I illuminated the eel from the inside out. The strobe was pointed towards the eel from the upper left of the photo. All of my attempts at illuminating the eel from the front were unsuccessful.

Steve

Strobe positioning has alot to do with where the subject is and what kind of effect you're going for. Looks like the eel was inside a crevice. You could have moved the strobe down to the side of your camera and lit him from the side. I use side lighting alot for a different look, like this one....

adh.sized.jpg

For 'regular' macros, I commonly position the strobe directly over the lens port and a little to the side, aimed just over the subject.

Awesome picture of the Christmas Tree Worm. That is another subject I will have to re-learn how to shoot. I got a few good shots, but the extra bulky rig tends to make them retract much faster.

As far as the eel, I reviewed my photos again and I guess I did not try any from as close to the camera as I thought I did. All of my shots in this situation were dark though. I need to learn to adjust the exposure settings on the fly.

Guess you'll have to go back and practice some more!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom