Strobe or WAL first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend the strobe. color is everything! and there is a lot more small stuff to shoot on any dive, also the strobe will improve your shots in so so vis. and once you start understanding how to use a strobe progressing to wide angle shooting will be a bit easier.

unless you are shooting big neutral colored subjects like rays,sharks, or wrecks. wide angle shots need something ( diver, fish, coral ) in the foreground illuminated to produce something that will stand out.Natural light images color corrected to add color, with software will seldom if ever look natural.

Strobe first then WA.

Wide angle is all about the lighting - and lighting wide angle shots is much harder than macro. Need to think about both ambient and strobe light. Understand and get used to the strobe first, then progress to WA lens.

sbloomer:
According to Inon, the UWL100 can be used topside....

If I can ask another question as a part of this debate, I have decided to buy an Inon strobe, but am still deliberating over which lens to get - a WA or a close up....

Well, it will really depend on what kind on diving you are doing most of the time. I bought the macro first as that is my main diving activity (limited vis), and I am saving up for the WAL for my next trip in December. Also, for most WA shots, most people would recommend 2 strobes to light the wide area.

Then there is the Ikelite housing for by D70....sigh

Btw, you would need to make sure your tray and housing would be able to fit the WAL if you are getting one. Some require a fair bit of modification and in my case, custom-making an adapter ring for my housing.

I have to agree with strobe first then WAL as WAL will be quite limited in use without a decent strobe to light up the scene. I a not sure what camera you are using but most likely the WAL will block the internal flash at least partially so even if you are trying to do close up WAL, the internal flash won't be useful even you are close to the subject. With a strobe and I assume 35mm lens, or 28mm, you will still get a decent fish portrait, probably not quite enough for a subject that is 2-3m or bigger but should be ok for awhile.
Also most wetmount WAL is designed for camera with 35mm so the newer generation of point and shoot that go to 28mm may or may not work well with these WAL, as far as I know.

Thanks for all the input. I have decided to wait, since my next real diving will be in Cozumel in May. I will get the whole rig at once and save till then. In the meantime I am focusing on topside photography. I just ordered a Promaster 5750DX flash for my C5050. It's funny how much cheaper topside stuff COULD be when you compare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom