Strobe or WAL first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Bar

Reaction score
I am interested in getting a strobe package and an INON UWL-100. Can't do it all at once. Could I get the lens first? Or do I need the strobe to light up what the lens sees?

My dive season is ending. My next trip will be May 2005. I figure I could use the WAL topside till then. But I would be diving with it for a while B4 getting the strobe. Or is there a popular order dictating the strobe comes first?

C5050z
PT15

Thanks

I bought my strobe before my WAL but in hindsight I think the WAL could come first as you can use Manual White Balance to get good non-strobe shots. However, You will need a lens dock for it and that also means you need a tray/handle that can accomodate the dock. If you also plan on a close-up lens down the road then consider a tray/arm than accomodate a second lens dock. I have been this route already so that's why I mention it. I made my own tray/handle that accomodates two lens docks along with the strobe.

Ordinarily, I'd say get them both, they are synergistic.

It's been very rare that I've been in the water with a wide angle lens, without a strobe. So much so that it's like they go hand in hand.

Sure, there's been times when I deliberately didn't take a strobe, but they were for specialty shots, or in very shallow water (5'), or over-unders, or whatever.

If I had to purchase sequentially, I'd get the wide angle first, you can at least play with it and get used to the benefits and problems of wide angle. Kind of learning the effects of close vs far perspective differences, etc.

OTOH, strobe photography has lots of variables, and you should start early learning the complexities of lighting, exposure balancing, and equipment. So you should get the strobe first, because you can start using it immediately with your equipment.

Hmm. I seem to have talked myself into a coin flip! It'll probabally turn out okay no matter which is first.

All the best, James

Ditto to what jlyle said. You'll see a big improvement with you pics with a strobe. This can be a very encouraging factor - I've seen too many photographers getting discouraged with greenish photos. Get your close-ups and macros right then tackle WA photography, which IMHO is a much harder art to master.

If I remember right you can't use the WAL for surface pictures....so it won't make a difference which you get first...start saving now and get them both before your next trip :D

justleesa:
If I remember right you can't use the WAL for surface pictures....so it won't make a difference which you get first...start saving now and get them both before your next trip :D

According to Inon, the UWL100 can be used topside....

If I can ask another question as a part of this debate, I have decided to buy an Inon strobe, but am still deliberating over which lens to get - a WA or a close up....

sbloomer:
According to Inon, the UWL100 can be used topside....

If I can ask another question as a part of this debate, I have decided to buy an Inon strobe, but am still deliberating over which lens to get - a WA or a close up....

1. Yes, the WAL can be used topside, but the camera will have to be in the housing.

2. The macro lens adapter is harder to master, but the images are impressive.

3. The WAL is very easy to use and would be my first choice. (BTW, that's what I bought first.)

Strobe first IMHO....without light there is no form :wink: and in the case of UW photography....without light there is no color

Karl

ok thanks...then it must be a lens from another company that you can't use...sorry 'bout that....anyway I also bought the strobe first

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom