strobe or signal light recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Can you guys recommend a good device for signal duty? That is, if I get lost from boat at dusk...I'd like to be seen by anyone searching.

I searched around LP but didn't find anything much.

thanks,
russ

Divers Direct carries the Princeton Aqua Stobe, which is kind of like a 70 times per minute wide angle camera strobe. There are a lot of other lights labeled "strobes" that are simply flashing incandescent lights.

Of course, you should also have a regular dive light that can be pointed at or flashed at whoever you are trying to contact. In many lost diver incidents the divers can see the boat, but not vice versa.

Charlie

In addition to the light mentioned in the previous reply by Charlie99 , there are different types of signaling devices which emit a loud audible tone to make contact over long distances.

The online stores or LDS's carry these devices, which go under the trade name of Dive Alert, among others. :wacko:

Here's an excerpt from an on-line retailer's website:

"This ultra loud air horn attaches to your low-pressure hose in-line with your BC inflator. With the touch of a button, a signaling blast can be heard for over a Mile. A must for night or open seas diving".

At night, a combination of a light and audible signal would seem to enhance your chances of being seen by the boat.

To recap: two chances of being noticed - a light and a noise.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom