Strobe or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rule62

Reaction score
Will I need a strobe for taking pics in Cozumel? I know it depends on viz but what about depth? What is the range of a strobe? I'm not worried about the expense just having to dive with one more piece of equip.

TexasScuba53:
Will I need a strobe for taking pics in Cozumel? I know it depends on viz but what about depth? What is the range of a strobe? I'm not worried about the expense just having to dive with one more piece of equip.
its not about vis ,its about if you want colorfull vibrant photos..even the best of strobes have little to no effect after 6 ft subject to camera distance..what camera are you using and what type of photos are you after? Something done well enough to print and frame for home/office/gallery??something to show people at home "look where I've been?? It all comes down to what is acceptable to you..Do not be disappointed if you want really good,artistic shots and don't get it with a cheap camera and or no strobe..The best of cameras will usually ,at best,give you marginal photos without a strobe..same as a cheap camera would..go with a strobe.

TexasScuba53:

I just got back from Coz and was sorry I left the strobe home.

Anything below 40 feet or so contains no red or yellow. The shallow shots were pretty good, but the deeper shots were pretty boring and dark with almost no color.

Terry

Thanks. I've got a Sea and Sea 750G with 7 mega pix. I'm not looking for Gallery quality but definitley good pics.

A strobe will help with some things IF you know how to use it.

The best advice I can offer is to learn your camera and how to make it do what you want it to do to get the best images you can - with or without a strobe.

Use it as much as possible on land and in the water if you can before you hit Coz.

You don't need a strobe for awesome shots - look at calypsonick's gallery here on SB - his early shots in there were with no strobe!

Get close - your internal flash is only good for a few feet and will have to provide the light on your subject if you want the colours to POP.

If you are too far for your internal flash, try setting your white balance manually. It will help make sure the colours are in there. I don't personally care for the way many manual white balance shots look, but they do look a lot better/more colourful than those images taken without!

Have fun and post when you get back!

Yes! At worst, it can't hurt to bring the strobe, but for the most vibrant colors, especially reds and yellows like a lot of Coz is, you really do need the strobe. Otherwise, you'll just get different shades of blue.

I'm gonna add another 'take the strobe!' vote here. I dove Coz in January, with my camera (sea&sea MM2). I was a bit jumpy on the shutter for about HALF the shots. Remember to let that strobe re-load! The difference between the same images, with and without strobe were amazing. My strobe photos of the coral even showed colors I never saw with my own eyes due to the depth.

I don't know if you're shooting digi or film, but if you're shooting film, take 400 speed.

I shot both 400 and 100. My 100 speed shots looked like night behind the subject. the 400 still showed that blue cast, but divers, coral, or watever was in the background was still visible. Depends on your desires. A couple of those black background shots actually looked kinda cool. You can see a few of them in this sub-forum, under 'my first uw photos' or something like that.

HAve fun down there, and let us see your shots when you get back.

FD

Take a strobe. It's unlikely that the boat will miss you and you'll be floating all alone as dusk sets in after a drift dive but . . . . if you have it you'll be easier to spot. The ocean is a big place.

DivePartner1:
Take a strobe. It's unlikely that the boat will miss you and you'll be floating all alone as dusk sets in after a drift dive but . . . . if you have it you'll be easier to spot. The ocean is a big place.

Umm, camera strobes can't be turned on like a flash light for the most part. Mine doesn't even have an aiming light. The only way to get light out is to trigger it with the shutter release...

OT: A dive strobe on your equipment is a good idea as is a sturdy safety sausage and a surface noise maker. Don't skimp here.

Back
Top Bottom