Strobe Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have the DC800 (since it was rolled out).
I just bought an SL960 strobe. Unfortunately it was a demo unit. I got it yesterday and there was no box, no instructions, & even no camera mounting screw (I'm going to have a conversation with the retailer for sure on that one).
I got the manual online. (sealife has a great web site http://www.sealife-cameras.com/download/flash.pdf)
I have questions about the flash and camera interfacing. Do I need the optical cable? (if so, should I have gotten one with the camera? The strobe? I don't have one).
Also, should the flash be on the left or the right. It feels better on the left but then the lens partially blocks the flash and I'm afraid the strobe wont sense the flash as well.
Should I be blocking the cameras internal flash to limit back-scatter (then I guess I NEED that optical cable)
How about my cameras firmware? As I said, this was one of the first off of the assembly line. I never upgraded the firmware because I never had any problems or issues.

And here's the punch-line. I am leaving for Cozumel in 3 days and need to get this all resolved by Friday!

Well folks, I need to turn this post into something other than a question. A note of sincere thanks to the incredible people at Sealife.
I pretty much copied my post above and pasted it in an e-mail to sealife cust service. Shortly afterwards a fellow by the name of Karl promptly replied with answers to all my questions. Like most information it just spurred more questions so I called him as his number was on his e-mail. Within minutes I had all the information I needed to make this strobe work properly on my camera (including a few pictures to ensure I can do the retro-fit properly-oh yeah, that is an older flash and needs a bit of tweaking to work on the 800 or 1000). Further I am in need of a few parts which Karl agreed to send me, all I needed to pay for was the expedited shipping so I can have it for my trip to Cozumel on Saturday!

This is my second interfacing with Sealife. My second camera and my first strobe. In both of my interfaces with them the reason had nothing to do with faults in the equipment or company, yet Sealife and the remarkable people they have (& had) working for them were quick to come to my rescue.

My sincerest thanks to Karl & Sealife.

And my strongest recommendation to anyone considering a dive camera or accessory.

This is customer service second to none!

Skipper John,

Glad to hear that Karl was able to get everything resolved. And my apologies for only getting to the email at this time.

If there is anything else that you need, I guess you know how to reach us.

have a great trip and look forward to seeing some pics!

SeaLife Joe

Well Joe, I am happy you did see it. It is the primary reason I included Karl's name. Please do what you can to see that he gets the proper recognition!

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom