Strobe for Oly 3030 and C-750?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asher

Reaction score
I have an Olympus 3030, soon to be happily housed in a PT-010. I'm hoping to get a new C-750 so that my wife and I can each have a camera when we're down, and I'm assuming that I'll get the PT-018 housing for it.

So, the question is, what strobe should I get? Ultimately, I'll probably want two strobes, but for the moment the budget probably isn't going to support that. The 3030 has a flash sync and the 750 has a hot shoe, but I don't think the PT-010 can support that?

Help! I have no idea what I'm doing. :D

A Sea & Sea YS90DX strobe could be used with either one. You'll need a fiber optic cable to use with the PT-10, the strobe will work as a slave to the camera's internal flash. You can use a regular sync cable to hotshoe it to the PT-18.

Thanks for the help. Being clueless, I have to ask this question - what's the advantage to "automatic" strobes like the DX-AUTO? I presume that the camera dictates the light level as well as the timing to the strobe? How reliable is that, and can it be used in my configuration? Underwater Digital has both strobes for the same price, which seems odd to me if the DX-AUTO actually has more features.

You'll have to have Allan from UWD explain exactly how the DX AUTO works. I think there was a discussion on it in the last day or so. I also don't know that that the AUTO strobe is actually on the market yet. They've been promising it for over a year. Allan got one to test it and the photos he's been posting the last few days were taken using it.

From the description of how you set the strobe, using the same f/stops as your camera, etc.....it sounded like way to much trouble to me. Or at least way more hassle than the YS90DX that I have.

Allan.....you want to answer this one?!?

Also, any recommendations for a strobe arm to fit these housings?

You don't connect the strobe arms to the housing. You'll need a camera/strobe tray. And the tray you choose has alot to do with the arms you use...and visa versa.

I use a Fish Eye tray with my C-4040 because it's a small package, has the flexible Loc-line arm I like and is reasonable priced.

Allan has these trays ar UW Digital.

Dee once bubbled...
A Sea & Sea YS90DX strobe could be used with either one. You'll need a fiber optic cable to use with the PT-10, the strobe will work as a slave to the camera's internal flash. You can use a regular sync cable to hotshoe it to the PT-18.

Hey Dee

Having a PT-010 with a C-4000 im wondering how this setup works with a fiber optic cable? Ive seen mention of it before but I cant quite get a visual on it.

Any chance you can take a quick pic of the setup.

Also What flash mode do you set the C-4040 in to trigar the cam? slow1?

Thanks
-=WonderSlug

Here a photo album showing my camera set-up. In 2-3 of the photos you can see the velcro patch and fiber optic connection. I've been using it for about 18 months with no problems. The velcro holds securely.

I think it's Slow 1. It doesn't matter as far as triggering your strobe but you WILL want to lower your internal flash strength to -.7. That's as low as it goes. It will still trigger your strobe but it won't drain your batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom