Strobe for digital cameras, land or sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

f3nikon

Reaction score
Thought I would run this to this forum. I saw someone using this setup on land, but made for underwater use. Its an Ikelite substrobe A35, camera tray, molded rubber grip and strobe arm. Ikelite #5468 package

The Substrobe A35(300 ft rating) is made from the same mold as their workhorse MV and MS strobes that I have been using. Now this is a slave only, manual strobe (many digitals do not have a hot shoes anyway) so the the cameras internal flash has to be deflected upwards at the A35s photo eye in order to fire. The tray should fit any 1/4-20 screw hole on the camera housing. The camera settings, I would use, is to place the camera on auto mode, internal flash on (always firing mode). The camera will meter the exposure and the A35 is just for "fill light" or to just "kiss" the colors back on to the closer objects. If the strobe light is a little too strong "rubberband" some white light defusers (from any home store) over the strobe light.

This setup as a package (Strobe, tray, grip and arm) for $150 is hard to beat.

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/a35_acc.html

Note: This will only work with cameras that fire without a pre-flash.

The following digital cameras don't fire a pre-flash to set the white balance:
Nikon Coolpix 900 series digital cameras and all Kodak, Sony, Ricoh, Fuji, Casio and Hewlett-Packard digital cameras.

The following brands determine the white balance by firing a pre-flash:
Olympus, Agfa, Epson, Nikon Coolpix 700 and 800 series models, Canon, Polaroid, Panasonic PV-SD4090, Toshiba TDR-M60 and the Pentax E1-200.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom