Strobe Fiber Optic Cable needed in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RadHal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Leaving for Cozumel this Saturday June 3rd and I just found that my Sea & Sea fiber optic cable is broken. Does anyone know whether there is a shop on island that sells this item.
Thanks

Attachments

• 1386702454000_1015907.jpg
    1386702454000_1015907.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 89
Leaving for Cozumel this Saturday June 3rd and I just found that my Sea & Sea fiber optic cable is broken. Does anyone know whether there is a shop on island that sells this item.
Thanks
I've never seen one for sale in Coz. Have had to have mules bring one down for me when mine crapped out. Check the June thread to see who is coming a couple of days after you and maybe they can accommodate you.

Thanks
Thanks
Order one from Amazon 2nd day delivered to me so that I get it by Monday and I'll bring it. But I don't get there until the seventh.

Order one from Amazon 2nd day delivered to me so that I get it by Monday and I'll bring it. But I don't get there until the seventh.
Dang,,pretty nice offer amoses !!

I've repaired mine 3 times & it's relatively easy but mine don't have 90 degree ends. In my case the cable gets banged against the fitting (at the strobe end) while sloshing around in the water filled cooler on the boat until it breaks / cuts through. The cable is retained to the fitting with a small set screw (1.5mm allen wrench required). With the set screw un done the cable can slide out (towards the front) revealing a crimped on metal sleeve. Cut the cable at the break, re install the fitting on the cable (if the crimped on sleeve needs to be drawn back in like mine) & then use a small knife of jewelers screwdriver to open up the crimped sleeve enough to transfer it to another area of the cable, pinch with a plier, slide it into the fitting & re tighten the set screw. It only takes a few minutes to do but does require having the tools. I have made the mistake of crimping the sleeve on with the fitting still on the bench so be sure of the correct order of re assembly.

Too late to be of any help for this trip, but when you get home, go to the local "Dollar Store" and get a small plastic container (or simply use a margarine tub). Store your FO Cables in this when they are not on the camera, and they will be protected.

Thanks for the help everyone, all good advice. I managed to find a replacement cable at one the local greater Boston dive stores, so I'm all set. I plan to try and repair the old one using the Cicopo's advice. Definitely plan on using a hard plastic container for protection, thanks Hoag.
Safe diving to all, Hal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom