Strobe batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with all regular Eneloops and now use Eneloop Pros. But I agree with @fmerkel about the relative longevity. Even on the packaging, the Pros say - Recharge 500 times!, whereas regular eneloops claim - Recharge 2,000 times!.

I feel confident leaving the pros in for 3 dives, possibly even 4. For me, I would estimate that equals 250-400 typical discharges. My average strobe power is probably about 70%. Setting the strobe to 100% really chews up any power source.

I've been using a pair of Inon 330 strobes for almost two years, with Eneloop Pro batteries. I maintain 2 complete sets of batteries (16 cells). I very deliberately swap sets of batteries after every diving day, or max of 2 dives per set (~200 flashes). This ensures that I don't need to wait for charging to dive again and extends the longevity of the cells. I probably end up recharging each set about 75 times a year so they should last a while.

Same as the previous few posters, I have 16x Eneloop Pro cells and swap them after a day of diving. My ST-100 strobes are significantly less powerful than Z-330s, so they easily last four dives - this will likely change once Retra Pros finally ship, but still, two sets should be good enough to get me through a day.

It's better to recharge than to run them to exhaustion. In a strobe you have a series (chain). There is always a weakest link. Push a series too far and you risk permanent damage to a cell that dies before the rest do. Likely a strobe will simply not cycle. Something that contains a pack like a canister light or heating system may be ruined.

Well, I have 4 of each Pro and regular Eneloops, and I alternate them after every 2 dives, and I do not see any difference, though the Pros are 2 years younger than the regulars.

Ok question for anyone using a S&S YS-01. About how many shots should I hope to get out of a fully charged set of Eneloop Pros? i know it depends on power usage but let’s say average use of 50% power.

In my tests with standard 2000 mAh eneloops, you should get about 220 or so flashes at 3/4 power. We didn't pull a YS-01 apart to characterize the battery charging circuit, but it should be similar to other similar power strobes
Bill

Guys battery life and charging time I meant you get more shots with the pro because they are higher capacity and will recharge your strobes faster
I change all the batteries anyway every 3 years tops

+1 on Eneloops

Back
Top Bottom