strobe arm questions (ULCS or nothing?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuggler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just spent over 2k to house my Canon T1i and Tokina 10-17 lens. I'll be shooting with two strobes - 1 YS-110a and 1 YS-01. The last thing I need to get is a complete tray and arm setup. Since a lot of people rave about ULCS stuff, I asked reefphoto for a quote. For a ULCS set that includes two 8" and 5" arms with three clamps, two handles, and a tray, total came to $541. Seriously?! :confused: When it comes to arms, is it really ULCS or nothing? Are there any decent substitutes that are more affordable but won't crap out after 50 dives? Please note that I'm not capable of any DYI stuff, so making my own tray to save $50 is out of the question. Also, what strobe arm lengths would you guys recommend if I want to shoot both macro and wide angle? (I'm eventually getting a port for my Canon 60mm lens too.)

Well, ULCS is bullet-proof, and works very well. Will outlast everything else you have, except possibly lead weights. Don't know of any good/cheaper alternatives.

I choose float arm lengths by what makes the system neutrally buoyant. For W/A, the ULCS 2", a 10" and a 14". For macro, a single INON 4", the longer one, because it makes for a more compact package. However, I've a Nikon D2xs with 105 mm micro in Subal housing, plus strobes and large spotter lights. It's rather big and needs a lot of buoyancy to keep it neutral.

fuggler how about THIS dual handle tray with arms setup for $289.00?

It is similar to the ULCS type. It is on eBay from the seller "nyxell". I bought a strobe and tray/arm from him. He is in Hong Kong and is reputable. He is also a diver and UW photographer.

Kilili - thanks for bringing up float arms. I don't even know what my sea & sea housing's buoyancy's like. Haven't tested it yet.

Gilligan - How long have you been using your tray and arms from that ebay seller and are you pretty happy with it? No disadvantages so far?

Divernoob - I actually bought my housing from Jack. I'll email him for a quote.

I have an assortment of floaty arms that I couldn't live without. I use different combos with different ports and even go as far as to tie one across the middle when I have a flat port on. I go crazy if I put my camera up and begin to tilt forward at all so these are important to me. I see a lot of cameras that have to be heavy and people aren't bothered by it so I suppose it's each to their own. You didn't mention what housing you got? What size dome port?

I have a 5" and an 8" holding each strobe. Those prices are in line with Backscatter's. It seems pricey, no doubt, but it's a small market, and it is quality gear.

Gilligan - How long have you been using your tray and arms from that ebay seller and are you pretty happy with it? No disadvantages so far?

Been using it about 3 times a week since March of this year. No problems with it.

my_setup_whiteback.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom