Strobe Angle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littlemermaid

Registered
Reaction score
Since I am a newbie at this shutterbug stuff, I am hoping to speed up the learning curve a bit....Does anyone have advice on strobe placement. I have read that one strobe should be orientated vertically and the other horizontally....or that both should be aimed straight forward to reduce backscatter.

So far just shooting wide angle stuff with a Nikon D100, L&M housing, and 2 Sea&Sea YS-90DX strobes. I'm sure there is no substitute for trial and error...but appreciate any "tips"

Straight forward, but turn each strobe SLIGHTLY outwards. The idea behind this is that the light from your strobes will cross each other in the center where your lens is aimed therefore any backscater will be going towards the strobes not the lens.
In very turbid water I take the strobes further apart and aim inwards towards the subject ( called side lighting ). If you want more help E me and I will see if I can send you some diagrams. Good luck.
ddiver@tampabay.rr.com
David

Do not walk in front of me I may not follow
Do not walk behind me I may not lead
Walk beside me and be my friend

Thanks for the advice!! I will give it a try next chance I get to take the camera out to our local kelp beds...

BTW, have you noticed you get less back scatter by using the strobes at 1/2 power and (at least for my setup) higher setting on the ROC rather than on fulll power and at a lower setting?

So much to learn....but ohhhh soooo much fun!

Echo

littlemermaid:
Thanks for the advice!! I will give it a try next chance I get to take the camera out to our local kelp beds...

BTW, have you noticed you get less back scatter by using the strobes at 1/2 power and (at least for my setup) higher setting on the ROC rather than on fulll power and at a lower setting?

So much to learn....but ohhhh soooo much fun!

Echo

My photos are wide shots so I always use full power to light as much area as I can, as you get closer to your subject then you can reduce power.
I also must tell you I use film and know nothing about digital, but some things are still the same film or digital ie aiming the strobes. I would think Dee would be the one to tell you about power reduction in digital.
David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom