Strobe and white balance for digital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ddub23

Contributor
Reaction score
When I started shooting with my Canon S400, all my pictures were really green or really blue. Through a suggestion on the board, setting the white balance manually, the colors of the pictures improved.

I'm picking up my YS90DX on Sat. It has a color temp of 5400K (close to natural sunlight). When using a strobe, should I still have to set the white balance even though I will be using a strobe that will give my subjects the appearance of natural color? Or, should I just set the camera to auto white balance. I know I will have to experiment a bit with the power settings on the strobe and the exposure controls on the camera, but i have not been succesful with my colors yet. Sorry if this has been discussed already. Thanks:)

I use auto white balance nearly 100% of the time. Occasionally I'll use Cloudy, but I can't really tell that it makes a difference.

I would worry about other things.........strobe aim...........get closer........shoot up..........

Karl

if your doing strobe lit shots ( macro or more than fill) i'd set the white balance to match the strobes color temp and lock it there. that will be good enogh for ambient shooting too. for fill i set the white balance to compensate for depth and filter the strobe to match.

I shoot manual all the time. I start with my camera set at f8 with a shutter speed of 1/100th and bracket with the flash, It is easy to change aperture and shutter speed on my camera so I experiment with that also. I try to get close, get low and shoot up. It has worked quite well for me so far. As long as I stay close I avoid the blue and green tints.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom