Strobe and Video Light for photos+video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j1j2j38

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for a strobe and video light combination for taking both photos and video, and I haven't seen much discussion of combining the two. I'm probably going to get the Canon SD940, which can take 720p movies, so I would like to take both videos and photos together. If I get a brighter and more diffuse light designed for video instead of photography and used it as a focus light, would this also work to help avoid casting shadows with only one strobe?

The whole thing with the camera and housing needs to run under $1000, so I don't have the option of getting really high end stuff, and I don't really want to drag around a huge rig underwater anyway. I was kind of thinking about the Ikelite Pro-V8 LED Video Lite as a video light since it's not too expensive, and then I was looking at the Ikelite AF35, the Fantasea Remora, the UltraMax UltraPower UXDS-1 Strobe, or the Sea and Sea Ys27DX. But maybe there are better options. Or maybe combining a video light with a strobe and trying to do both things with one camera won't work that well for some reason, and better to find that out now then after I buy a bunch of stuff. Thanks for any thoughts.

Now that the DSLRs are shooting HD video I believe there are several companies working on a strobe/video light product. But probably +1yr away. Not an expert in what you are using but for macro or close up shots any of the single strobes you listed would work. The video light could be used as a focus light if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom