Strobe Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cat276330

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone,

I have a Panasonic TZ7 with panasonic housing. Im looking at getting a strobe as my main problem is the flash isnt bright enough or it gets blocked by the housing.

So i would appreciate any advice on which strobes i should look at. Also my camera isnt exactly new and im worried that if i get a strobe for this housing and then my camera breaks then can i use this strobe with another camera and housing? or do they only fit certain cameras and housings?

When i do get a new camera i was looking at a Canon G12 but unless my camera breaks it may be a while before i upgrade.

Thanks to anyone that can advise me on this

Cat

I personal like the Inon strobes, they will work with just about any camera with a flash, but you will have to buy tray, arms and clamps. Depending on the housing you might need mask for the camera strobe. The mask pretty much attaches the fiber optic cable for the strobe to housing.

Also Sea&Sea makes some very good strobes too.

I shoot a G12 in a Fix housing, and 2 Inon strobes. I set the camera flash to it's lowest setting, and manual adjust the strength of the Inon strobes. The camera flash is only need to signal the Inons.

As previously mentioned you will also need a tray and arm for any strobe.

All fiber optically fired strobes will work with just about any camera so long as the strobe has a flash and pre-flash setting, which most do. The Inon and Sea & Sea will be the more expensive brands after including the cost of a tray and arm. Both are quality strobes. The Inon is more compact.

You may also want to look at the Ikelite AutoFlash AF35 which does not require a fiber optic cable to fire it and includes a tray and arm.

Not sure what your prices would be in the UK.

I'd highly suggest looking at a S&S or Inon strobe, the S&S strobes are priced a little better. They will be able to be used with any other camera/housing you get. Make sure you buy from someone who can help you get your strobe working with your camera, and knows strobe and camera settings well, you may need some after sales support. - Scott

Thanks to everyone. Inon and S&S seem top from what you all and others i have spoken to have said. I will have a browse online. Im looking long term so would rather buy a slightly more expensive good quality strobe than a cheaper one which i will have to replace sooner.

Any other useful advice about what i should or shouldnt look out for? Or anyone recommend good places to buy from?

Sometimes you can find Nikonos SB 105's new in the box for really cheap. They are nice, powerful little strobes and run on 4 aa's.

Give the team at Bluewater photo a call; they can sort out what you want. Getting a bigger strobe than you need right now is a good idea, strobes outlast most housings by a long shot.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom