Strength and aerobic conditioning for Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnissen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,
I have read a number of the previous threads and would like to know, roughly, what level of physical conditioning would be recommended to perform well in the Rescue course I'm taking in 6 weeks. The instructor shot down my idea of paying PADI extra for the right to rescue a 95-lb. circus acrobat, so I will definitely be rescuing a 250 lb. / 115 kg. guy.

Currently (if the stars align), I do the following: lift weights 2x a week, some assortment of squat (125 lb), deadlift (235 lb), overhead press (95 lb.), and bench press (130 lb.). Biking 2x, around 1:15 to go 11 miles / 18km. 1x swim, in fins and snorkel, 35 min for 1 mi / 1.6 km. It's rare that I get to do five workouts in a week, due to scheduling, but you have an idea of where I am currently focused.

So what should I work on? I'm overweight, but I'm not going to drop 50 lbs. in 6 weeks. Ideally I would go diving a lot but that's an all-day trip and difficult from a schedule standpoint. So I'm looking for things I can do in an hour or less, with access to a pool and your typical fitness center. Thoughts?

Doesn't sound like you'll have any stamina or strength issues based on your current fitness routine. It's as much about mental strength and the ability to cope under pressure. Good to see you're wanting to prepare and perform well though.

Good luck and keep us posted.

the rescue course we teach? You have to tow roughly 1/4 mile while giving rescue breaths and it is timed, so a bit more than most people....

The biggest thing for any course is that you need to kick with fins on. Sidestroke will let you get full range of motion and mimic the "do-si-do" position that you will have to tow while giving rescue breaths.
Physically you'll be fine, but depending on how long the tow is, it's cramping that will get you because kicking is a very different motion than normal workouts and you'll want to practice alternating kick cycles to prevent cramping.

The part that is the most work is towing a victim 100 yds while simulating rescue breaths along the way.

Do as much swimming with fins as you can not using arms.

People of all sizes and fitness levels take the course and pass it. (I do know of someone that failed, but they were super unfit/overweight and wound up needing to be rescued themselves...) It's partly about technique - and about which technique or approach is the right one for a given person in whatever situation. And learning what you can and can't do. And awareness, and all sorts of things that aren't directly about hauling a big person out of the water. It sounds like you are pretty focused on being fit, probably more than a lot of people. So great to work on it but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

People of all sizes and fitness levels take the course and pass it. . . .

This. People who, though perhaps not grossly overweight, don't bike or lift weights at all pass it. Petite, non-athletic women pass it. Large, non-athletic men pass it. It seems to me, if someone is fit enough to scuba dive, they are fit enough to pass the Rescue course's physical requirements.

Hi All,
I have read a number of the previous threads and would like to know, roughly, what level of physical conditioning would be recommended to perform well in the Rescue course I'm taking in 6 weeks. The instructor shot down my idea of paying PADI extra for the right to rescue a 95-lb. circus acrobat, so I will definitely be rescuing a 250 lb. / 115 kg. guy.

Currently (if the stars align), I do the following: lift weights 2x a week, some assortment of squat (125 lb), deadlift (235 lb), overhead press (95 lb.), and bench press (130 lb.). Biking 2x, around 1:15 to go 11 miles / 18km. 1x swim, in fins and snorkel, 35 min for 1 mi / 1.6 km. It's rare that I get to do five workouts in a week, due to scheduling, but you have an idea of where I am currently focused.

So what should I work on? I'm overweight, but I'm not going to drop 50 lbs. in 6 weeks. Ideally I would go diving a lot but that's an all-day trip and difficult from a schedule standpoint. So I'm looking for things I can do in an hour or less, with access to a pool and your typical fitness center. Thoughts?

lol when I first read this I thought you said "im going to lose 50 lbs in 6 weeks"

Was a bit scared thinking how that could be accomplished

don't worry about strength. just know your limits and be careful not to hurt yourself while trying to do a rescue. some people just can't be rescued due to physical constraints of the situation.
as for aerobic conditioning, more is always better.

rescue course is not about proving you are able to save a life but learning how to attempt it and how to do it safely and correctly.

Thanks to everyone who responded, I have read and appreciate every word. I was worried because my instructor was saying that the class "kicked his ass" just teaching it, and that it would do the same for me. I have had issues with surface swims because I am super prone to seasickness, so I want to get my skills to the point where it's "easy", for various values of easy.

Sidestroke will let you get full range of motion and mimic the "do-si-do" position that you will have to tow while giving rescue breaths.

Ooh, never thought about that. I was just thinking this morning in the pool that I wasn't getting the full range since the fin was in the air when I'm in a prone or supine position. Super helpful, I will sidestroke the next time in the pool.

Do as much swimming with fins as you can not using arms.
Yes, I will try this as well. I hate swimming in the pool in general, and so using my arms is a lot faster, but obviously I won't be doing that in the class.

don't worry about strength. just know your limits and be careful not to hurt yourself while trying to do a rescue. some people just can't be rescued due to physical constraints of the situation.
as for aerobic conditioning, more is always better.

rescue course is not about proving you are able to save a life but learning how to attempt it and how to do it safely and correctly.
Whoa. Mind. Blown.

Of course you are correct. (Can you tell I haven't read the book, yet?) Knowing how to rescue someone without creating a second victim has got to be one of the most challenging and important things to learn. I had it in my head that it was teaching you to be a Baywatch-style hero type, and that's not it at all.

Again, everyone's post was helpful. More comments are of course welcome.

You will be fine. The most challenging part is to always be alert. A lot of my scenarios were ment to be prevented before it occurred.
Obviously you will have to do a lot of water work, but it’s mostly at the surface. Keep calm and remain focus, especially when you are having your lunch break. F+^%¥rs like to drown during lunch apparently...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom