Strange IP behavior on a freshly serviced regulator - what's going on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And let me add, the threaded DIN caps are small and cheap. Carry a couple of extra in case one goes MIA.
You can even print them now. Go figure!

You can even print them now. Go figure!
I haven't purchased a printer (yet)-which brings to mind a question/request for @The Chairman How about a sub forum in the DIY section for the growing interest in 3D printing? It could be prefaced with guides and FAQs like the Underwater Photography forum.

How about a sub forum in the DIY section for the growing interest in 3D printing?

How about going farther? Why not set up a 3D Printing sub forum AND encourage uploading the files. Perhaps a drop-down title prefix could be used to indicate a file is attached? Something like: File: BFK Knife Sheath

Other drop down candidates could be Question, Need, HowTo, ???

How about going farther? Why not set up a 3D Printing sub forum AND encourage uploading the files. Perhaps a drop-down title prefix could be used to indicate a file is attached? Something like: File: BFK Knife Sheath

Other drop down candidates could be Question, Need, HowTo, ???

I'm all for it. I need a Dummies guide.
1) Types of printers: so I purchase one that will do the jobs I want without buy too much machine.
2) How to/how not to.
3) What materials...I see talk of PVC and this material or that material.

@Akimbo It might be a good idea to move/spit this thread to where it would be more useful.

That answers a question I've had about my Hollis 500SE. Whenever I presurize the reg it always does a little bit of free flow that quickly stops. Just a littl Pfft and stops. I wonder if that is by design or accident.

500 SE is a pilot valve like poseidon. I've never seen the guts of the second stage, but if it has the same mechanism (a little inflating condom basically) the IP has to get high enough to inflate it before it'll seat itself, thus the small freeflow every time you turn it on. Try blocking the mouthpiece of the second stage to see if it is less significant of a free flow.

It'll also do you a lovely favor of free flowing when your tank gets low.

I just had one of my regs serviced by a professional technician, and now it exhibits very strange behavior:

1. When put on a tank and pressurized (before cycling) - IP goes all the way to 170 and stays there.
2. When cycled by purging or breathing, IP drops to 135-ish, and from that point forward everything looks good - IP drops and recovers quickly with each cycle, no creep.
3. When tank valve is closed, reg de-pressurized, and valve reopen - IP goes back to 170, see #1.

I thought I may have a bad IP gauge (mine is cheap), but fancy hookup with a large professional gauge at the LDS showed same thing. They said they'll look into it.

So I have a couple of questions. First, what is going on? It appears that after the first breath the reg works to the specs. What is there that keeps IP high before the first breath? I doubt that it is normal with any reg. If it is, I'll gladly stay corrected.

Second, and it's a difficult one to ask. Would a qualified technician let a reg leave his bench with this type of behavior? And if not, what does it tell me? Was the service done, but the IP wasn't tested? That seems unlikely. Was the service not done?

I would change internet providers. strange I.P. behavior is not acceptable.

I've added stl files to the allowed files. What other files do we need to upload???

Source 3D solids modeling files might be nice in case someone wants to modify the design. The two most supported neutral formats are probably:
  • .DAE = COLLADA ( (COLLAborative Design Activity)
  • .STEP = ISO 10303 (The Standard for the Exchange for Product Data)

Yeah. That's what I wonderd. If maybe Hollis designed that little purge on pressurization to go easy on the gear.
I guess it is a Hollis second stage with side exhaust.

As I understand they have same working principles as the Poseidon jetstream and xstream. Servo valve.

It use the pressure to close the valve, and always make a hiss when pressurised.

Sure you are. Don't forget the initial momentum of the first closure. There is 3,500 on one side and 145 on the other.

But hey. You don't have to lessen the impact by holding down the purge valve. I'm still gonna!
The 3500 is pushing out through the orifice not in on top of the piston or diaphragm. The high pressure is trying to keep the seal off the seat not slam them together.

Back
Top Bottom