strange goings on today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
If I reply to a thread today, it doesn't show up in the "new posts". And I have another notice on about page 3 of "new posts" that "the following threads have not been updated". I can find my posts in the forum section but not in the new posts. And I still get 20 pages of posts if I log on. Whata gwan?

ditto

Changes to the forum are such that the "new posts" button only returns threads that have replies since you last looked.

To get something closer to the old "new posts" I suggest doing Scubaboard -> Active Posts instead

Our system now actively monitors the threads you have read, the threads you have replied to and the ones you have not yet looked at. This allows us to dynamically figure out what is new and what is not. If you reply to a thread and no replies are made afterwords, the thread is no longer new (as you clearly read it to reply to it). Additionally, if you close your browser and leave for a few minutes, the unread threads will remain unread when you return allowing you to multi-task without losing track of where you were.

Tech Admin:
Our system now actively monitors the threads you have read, the threads you have replied to and the ones you have not yet looked at. This allows us to dynamically figure out what is new and what is not. If you reply to a thread and no replies are made afterwords, the thread is no longer new (as you clearly read it to reply to it). Additionally, if you close your browser and leave for a few minutes, the unread threads will remain unread when you return allowing you to multi-task without losing track of where you were.

i say it's a cool feature

jonix:
i say it's a cool feature

I say it's broken. The things described work but there's been another new effect: in "normal" browsing (i.e. not the "New Posts" tool) threads as old as a week ago are marked as having new posts even when they don't.

Then you haven't marked all threads read to reset them or viewed those posts. Do one or the other and they will no longer appear as new.

Tech Admin:
Then you haven't marked all threads read to reset them or viewed those posts. Do one or the other and they will no longer appear as new.

Hmmm. Perhaps so, but the behaviour has fundamentally changed. The old behaviour could be described as "new posts since"; the new behaviour is "unread".

The way I read the board, I look at all the threads with new posts, read the ones I'm interested in, and ignore the rest. Old-way, next time I came back, only the ones with new content would be marked. New-way, all threads haven't actually opened up and read are still marked new. This is... inconvenient.

Yuck...! The Subcribed Threads tracker just went back to the old system, where read threads show in light print.

Hope that's temporary while tweeking. :)

We reverted to our old system as a result of high load volumes placed on the server from the more sophisticated method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom