Strange Ear Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rivers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Myself and a colleague are in the process of teaching our non-diving colleagues to dive (we both work part-time as an instructor and DM outside of our full time jobs). One of our colleagues had an issue where her ears would clear, but then re-block without changing depth. I think in about 25 minutes we managed to get down to 1.5m before just canning it entirely. It is possible she has the remnants of a chest infection/cold which cleared about 1.5 weeks ago that she doesn't notice on the surface, but was enough to cause issue underwater.
But the issue that concerns me was the clearing and re-blocking, as it's not something myself or my colleague who was instructing has ever come across. Any ideas?

Post viral inflammation, I would not think it was all that uncommon. Either she's not ready for the water....yet.....or she has some underlying problems that need to be addressed before going forward.
If all you got was 1.5m I wouldn't be confident she ever actually cleared.
There are LOTS of threads on clearing issues, techniques, and medications that can be helpful.

Ugh. I'm not a medical person, but I have had that problem. Quite annoying. I thought I had recovered from a cold, too.

If a decongestant doesn't allow her to clear - I recommend a pool - then give it time. And consult DAN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom