Straights of Mac, Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt.Bob

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am planning a camping trip later in September. I have never been there and am looking for advice on places to camp (RV friendly) and places to rent boats big enough to dive from. Any help would be appreciate :D

This is the State park in St. Ignace, UP side of the state: Straits State Park Detail
I think there are a couple other privately owned campgounds, but I don't know anything about them. Google it.

I have never heard of a boat rental business in either St. Ignace or Mack. City. Larry M. has a charter boat and dive shop up there: Straits Scuba

It is beautiful country up there and a lot to do. Good luck, be safe and have fun.

It depends on what you are looking for when camping. The Straits State park is nice... If you're traveling with kids, the KOA is set up for that (mini golf, swimming pool, game room, and a convenient tourist trap right next door). the Teekee campground (sp?) is, well, cheaper... I don't know of any boat rentals, but the new marina on Mackinac City side might have some info for you. If it's your first trip there and you're taking a boat out (please don't get offended) keep an eye on the weather. One side can be great with the other having 4-5 ft waves. It's crazy sometimes. It's not unusual for a storm to pass through out of no-where. Last year we were anchored and within a 1/2 hour they were calling for all vessles to seek refuge immediately... Straits Scuba is WONDERFUL. A bunch of really nice guys who know their diving. We often end up tying up behind them... I know our local dive shop is planning a trip there in July if you were interested in hooking up with them. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Back
Top Bottom