Straighten coiled fiber optic sync cord

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divezilla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all
I have a long coiled Sea&Sea sync cord, much like the one in this link.
http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/...uct_full/SS-50128_Fiber-Optic_Cable_II-M2.jpg

I need to permanently uncoil and straighten a 12 inch section in the middle, leaving two coiled sections at the ends.

Thought I'd check here to see if anyone has done something like this without breaking the fibre core
Seems like it would need some heat and maybe wrap it backwards. But how much heat?

I coiled a straight FO cable using near boiling water - going backwards is the same process. Dip the section you want straightened and give it a few seconds to relax and take in the heat, then pull the section you want straightened through a towel and put it under cold running faucet to set. easy peasy

Depends on your definition ;-)
The coiled sync cord has a lot of 'memory' and wants to re-coil a bit after it cools.
I didn't get my piece fully straight .. but it's much much better than before.
It's usable. Picture here Microsoft services (hopefully the onedrive links works )

I think ideally.. I'd want to start with a straight piece of fiber and then coil up the ends.

Back
Top Bottom