Storing regs and hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
So I just got around to installing an Air2 on my BC, which means I've got an octopus and hose sitting around w/ nothing on the 1st stage end of that hose. I've also got another full set of regs that is currently disassembled w/out port plugs/end caps of any sort. If I'm not planning to use them/rebuild them anytime in the near future, how should I store the regs and hoses? Are there endcaps and such that I should go get to keep the hoses clean/dry/etc? Thanks.

Buy port plugs for the 1st stage, or your LDS technician might give you some. Ask your technician for end-caps for the hoses. Port plugs for the first stage are more important than end caps for the hoses, I would say. But either way, I would store the stuff in a sealed crate that I wouldn't leave anywhere I wouldn't leave my Allen Edmonds shoes ;-).

A rubbermaid box, ziplock bag, or Action packer is a good bet for storage. Keeps lint from collecting in you hoses and first stage. Speaking in short term storage (ie. before annual service is up), as long as you keep lint from collecting in your gear you can just reconnect everything and use it just fine, theoretically.

Since you're not using the first stage for a long time, you'll reservice before reconnecting. Keep in mind however that a badly conditioned first stage might cost more to service or tire the tech enough to do a less than decent job.

So my overall advice is to store gear in a container (ziplock or box), in a climate controlled room, free from lint(hence the container).

I would also suggest to get 1st stage port plugs anyways. That way you can configure your hoses how you like, instead of being relegated to having to fill all empty ports with a hose.

Hose end caps aren't so necessary, especially considering that they don't make female end-caps for hoses (second stage side).
If you're worried that you're hose is filled with lint, connect it to a first stage, leave the female side unconnected, and pressurize.
Or you could just blow through it.

The best way of storing gear that you do not plan to use is to sell it :).

Other wise what is posted above will do just fine, port plugs and critter tight containers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom