Storing housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffromonty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A newbie question about storing your housing, Is it better to store housing open or closed. I'm wondering about deforming the o-ring after periods of time with housing sealed or the possibility of dust getting into housing which can be easily cleaned out. Thanks for the advice.

I remove all of my O-rings for storage. I lightly coat with silicone grease, put them in a baggie and store with the housing.

I remove all of my O-rings for storage. I lightly coat with silicone grease, put them in a baggie and store with the housing.

I don't think you are to put silicone grease on the O-rings of Sealife housings, just clean O-ring and store in zip-lock bag..........

You may well have learned that from other dive cameras and/or experienced shooters, but that's not recommended by Sealife. "The DC1200 O-ring is made of a special low-durometer silicone material, which forms a very reliable wide seal when the housing is closed."

I don't think you are to put silicone grease on the O-rings of Sealife housings, just clean O-ring and store in zip-lock bag..........
That's correct. Sealife does not recommend silicone grease on their O-rings. From my CD-1200 Owner's Manual, rule #1 for O-ring care instructions: Do not lubricate o-ring.

They also suggest a new O-ring annually. I don't replace it that often, but it'll be pushing 4 years old for my next trip so I might. I looked over my manual and found some storage recommendations but nothing exceptional. Leave it in the housing like I do - unlatched, and it'll keep its shape better. This is all the book suggests...
Cleaning housing after use
1. The sealed housing must be thoroughly cleaned with fresh water and dry
before opening.
2. Before opening housing, everything, including your hands, head and
surrounding area must be totally dry. Have a dry towel handy.
3. After opening the housing, clean the camera, O-ring area and all inside
and outside parts with a clean, dry cotton cloth.
Prepare housing for storage
1. Before storing the housing and camera, remove batteries, SD card and
keep in a clean dry area. Make sure the housing and any accessories are
clean and dry before storage.
2. Never store camera or housing in direct sunlight or in a dark damp area.

Thanks for the input. DD I did read the manual and they do not mention much except what you pointed out, I figured if I left it open it would retain it's shape better and just a good cleaning before use should be good. Thanks for the replies. I can't wait to use it for the first time next week in Coz and then I'm sure there will be more questions.

Thanks for the input. DD I did read the manual and they do not mention much except what you pointed out, I figured if I left it open it would retain it's shape better and just a good cleaning before use should be good. Thanks for the replies. I can't wait to use it for the first time next week in Coz and then I'm sure there will be more questions.
Yeah, I think that adding silicone grease to the o-ring might make it swell or something - seems I've heard that, but for sure it would attract debris. The book does not suggest storing it in a ziplock or out of housing, so I leave it in - altho I do leave the housing unlatched.

It's commonly said that all cameras flood: "It's not a matter of if, but when." I've never flooded one. I flooded a strobe once by getting that o-ring crooked, and my home bud flooded my old DC-310 by adding silicone grease and attracting sand - but even following directions, it's possible. Make some calls and see about covering it on your homeowners, renters insurance, or a separate Personal Article Policy with State Farm. See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sealife-station/471721-storing-housing.html#post6974820

I don't recommend cameras to anyone with less than a hundred dives, but you got it so you're going to use it. Even tho my Dc-1200 floats I think, I got an orange float strap for it to make it easier to find on the surface. I know a lot of lost cameras go missing as divers exit the water. I always hand mine to the skipper or crew member with both hands, then deal with my pony, then my fins, etc. Keeping your reg in your mouth helps a lot. Good luck, good diving, have a great trip, and try this free editing program if you don't have a better one: http://www.irfanview.com

I wouldn't worry much about your o-rings. They're made to deform and spring back.

I dive colder water, so preventing condensation in the housing is my biggest concern. I store my housing shut, with the lowest moisture/humidity possible inside of it. To achieve this, I try to shut it when it's warm and been drying in the sun after a rinse off. Also I find the best place/time to put the camera back in the housing is when both have been warmed in the sun a while. This seems to do the best job reducing my condensation problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom