Storing gear in a garage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can store the tank filled for a little while (a couple of months at a time), never store it empty.

I store my gear in one of the yellow and black tubs that they sell at Costco.

Your gear hates Ozone (orings, nylon, etc). The good news is ozone does not come directly from car exhaust but rather is a process of sunlight and exhaust. Depending on if some car is shooting exhaust directly on your locker, it may smell. But considering the clean cars these days and no one should be sitting idling their engine for several hours, your gear will be just fine.

Lastly, it is a standing diver rule that you should always have a full tank (or 3) ready to dive in a minutes notice when your buddies call yelling ' EPIC VIZ & CONDITIONS, LETS GO! "

Zillions of warm weather divers store their gear in the garage.

This. I probably know more divers with garages that store their gear in garages than those that don’t. I’d store it in Rubbermaid totes after it’s clean and dry without a second thought.

Your gear hates Ozone (orings, nylon, etc). The good news is ozone does not come directly from car exhaust but rather is a process of sunlight and exhaust. Depending on if some car is shooting exhaust directly on your locker, it may smell. But considering the clean cars these days and no one should be sitting idling their engine for several hours, your gear will be just fine.

Lastly, it is a standing diver rule that you should always have a full tank (or 3) ready to dive in a minutes notice when your buddies call yelling ' EPIC VIZ & CONDITIONS, LETS GO! "

Zillions of warm weather divers store their gear in the garage.

+1

You'll find plenty of examples of people here that have their "dive lockers" in their garages. While most would prefer if they had a dedicated space inside their homes, even for people with houses that isn't always feasible and I don't recall seeing anyone complaining about their gear falling apart as a result of being in a garage in a warm climate.

Expensive stuff in the house; everything else stays in the garage. No issues for multiple years now.

I'm concerned that my dive storage facility is being used for other purposes like sleeping, washing and cooking. My wife insists that that is what our house is for, but I don't get it! :stirpot:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom